Chapter 122 - A Punch in the Gut

Leah's P.O.V

I have been back at camp a few days and tonight we are playing our first game in Sunderland. To say I'm excited to see Archie would be an understatement, I cried a million tears the day I left for camp, and the night before, as it's the longest time I have spent away from him. Ellie has him in Yorkshire and I have been getting plenty of updates from her, messages, photos and FaceTimes which made it easier but I didn't realise just how hard it would be. The blow softened in the fact the communication from Ellie wasn't just about Archie, the I miss yous and I love yous were back.

Since the night Ellie and I spent together, we also spent the following two nights together before I came to camp and it was amazing. We both couldn't hide the smiles on our faces the whole time, it was so nice for all of us to be back together, as a family. I felt giddy. When we spoke, it was like it was all brand new again, the nervous smiles on our faces as we FaceTimed before bed, the good night and good morning messages. She also earnt herself some added bonus points too.

Flashback:

I felt nervous as I travelled to SGP. I always got nervous but even more so this time having not been part of the England team for 18 months. It also felt strange Ellie not being here. Of course, Ellie went to camp when I was pregnant but it had been so long since I was here without her. It's also a very different feeling as I'm obviously a Mum now. I know he's in safe hands, of course, but it doesn't mean I don't feel guilty or sad for leaving him.

——

"Why do you have a present and I don't?" G shouts as I enter our room behind her

"What?" I say confused as I shut the door

G points her head towards my bed, I walk over and notice a card and a box wrapped up. I open the card, seeing it's some sort of good luck card, presuming its maybe a welcome back type of thing from England, but I was wrong...

Good luck Mummy!

From your no.1 fan Archie xx

P.S. I'll miss you, but I will be having lots of fun with my 'fun' mama and all the 'wrinkles' who spoil me rotten xx

I'm so proud of you - Go smash it babe!

We love you, Always xx

I open up the box. There is a picture frame with a picture of Archie and I. Such a small gesture, but it means the world to me.

End of flashback.

——

Ellies P.O.V

We arrive at the Stadium of Light to watch Leah and the Lionesses, a week ago, this wasn't the plan, but obviously things have slightly changed since then. Initially, Amanda was going to be collecting Archie on her way up to Sunderland and I was going to be travelling back down south to catch my flight to Dubai but I couldn't pass on the opportunity to see Leah, so instead with my family in tow too, we decided to attend the game, I would then get to see Leah, hand Archie over to Amanda and travel back down South tomorrow morning, before heading to Dubai the following day. I was however, nervous, very nervous to see Leah's family. I had not seen majority of them since Leah and I broke up and I was nervous of the reaction I would get, I was glad my family were here too.

My nerves were quickly dispelled as we entered the box, Amandas soft smile and tight hug eased my worries, I think she could probably tell how nervous I was.

"Hi darling" She smiled, reassuringly.

Of course, Archie was the centre of attention, after greeting all of Leahs family, they didn't make me feel uncomfortable but I could tell it was different from before, but I get that. I take Archie outside to watch the girls warm up, a mixture of emotions, I'd give anything to be out there on the pitch with them. I've tried not to think much about the national team, my main focus returning to the pitch for Arsenal, I'm under no illusion that I may never play for England again, there is no guarantee when I do return to play football that I will come back the same player, and therefore may not ever be good enough to get selected again. I swallow the thoughts as I feel a lump building in my throat, pushing it to the back of my mind. Today is about Leah's return and I couldn't be more proud of her.