Chapter 134 - Written In The Stars

ArsenalWFC: 410 days. Two Surgeries. Hundreds of hours in rehab. Today marks the return of  our Number 18, Ellie Jones, at the SOLD OUT Emirates Stadium in the North London Derby.

——

"We have to speak about a big talking point around todays game don't we?" Caroline asks

"We do" Karen smiles

"Ellie Jones is named in the Arsenal team for todays North London derby at the Emirates, 410 days since her last appearance at the Emirates. This is the third game Jones has been named, after making her much anticipated comeback last week away at Everton, coming on in the 88th minute. But it's not just about the minutes today, is it Karen?"

"It's not. I mean, its almost written in the stars isn't it? After 14 months out, having your home comeback game, in a sold out Emirates against the team she suffered the potential career ending injury in. I mean you couldn't write it"

"And do we think she will get many minutes today Izzy?"

"I think she may come in around the 70th minute mark, Jonas said in the press conference it's not a question about the stability of her ankle, it's about getting back into the mindset of match days and getting minutes under your belt"

"In a recent interview, Ellie said she feels fitter and stronger than she did before her injury due to work she has put in, in the gym throughout her rehab. But we know match fitness is only gained by playing isn't it?" Caroline asks Karen

"It is. But Ellie has always been an athletic player. She looks fit and she looks strong. You know, coming back from such a huge injury and after such a long time out, it's important she doesn't put too much pressure on herself, I mean she will, she's that type of player and she'd be playing from minute 1 if it was up to her, but that's where the coaching staff step in and have to ensure her minutes are managed. We would all like to see her on the pitch from minute 1, she's that type of player that you want to see on the pitch. Arsenal haven't managed to fill that magic that Jones brings since she has been out and I'm sure Jonas, the coaching team, the players and of course the fans are excited to see her back"

"Sarina is also in attendance today, do you think she'll be keeping a close eye on Jones?"

"She will be here to see a few of the lionesses, and look, Jones has to get minutes and get back into it. Have the lionesses missed Jones? Yes, they are still a quality side but there is no denying the presence Jones has on the field. She is one of those magic players on the ball but the work she does off the ball that nobody sees is just as good, she creates spaces for other players, she fools the defenders when she makes the runs off the ball. I'm sure Ellie will be wanting to get back into the mix with the international team but first and foremost she will be concentrating on building her minutes up for club and the performances from her will come"

"The build up all week has been around Ellie returning to the Emirates, you could feel the atmosphere around the stadium from the fans when we arrived here, the excitement in air, how do you think that affects the pressure on Jones and the team Izzy?"

"Look, the team will be excited and delighted for Ellie to return, not only for the team but for herself. It was a horrendous injury and it's an achievement in itself returning to the pitch at all. We shouldn't be putting too much pressure on a player returning from such a long time out of the game, but I can see why fans are excited and it's hard not too with a player like Jones, sometimes players just have it, they have that spark, that athleticism, that natural talent and Jones has it. She is a great athlete who works so hard but she just has that magic that you can't teach anyone. Could the occasion get to her? The emotion of a sold out emirates? The fact its the North London derby? Possibly, but she's a professional. The team and the staff will have been doing everything possible to try and reduce the pressure"