Chapter 62 - Sedated

Leah's P.O.V

"I can't just sit here, I need to be with her" I snap, as I'm pacing up and down the canteen, waiting impatiently for some information, for anything. It feels like we have been in here for hours now. I shouldn't even be here, I should be at the hospital.

"I am sure we will be able to go soon Leah" Georgia says

"This is my fault" I raise my hands to my head

"Leah, its not your fault" Lucy comes over and puts her arm around me

"It is. I let this happen. Ellie said it and she was right" I sob

"Right about what?" Beth asks

"There is no way I would have let Abbie or anybody treat another player how she has in this camp. Ever. But yet I stood back and watched Abbie treat her like shit. I expected Ellie to ignore her. We all did. I should have stepped in"

The girls sit in silence.

"We all should have stepped in" Beth says quietly "It's not your fault Leah"

The canteen door opens and in walks Serena and a few of the other coaches. My heart sinks. It aches.

"Is she alright?" Lucy asks

"We have heard from Max" Serena says

All of us intently staring at Serena, in silence.

"She's stable"

We all sigh in relief.

"But, they have had to sedate her"

"What? Why?" I snap

"She kept gong in and out of consciousness, but when she was coming around she was agitated and frustrated. Confused and didn't know what was happening. They think she may have some swelling on the brain, they are going to perform a scan to asses and make sure there is also no internal bleeding. Unfortunately that's all I know at this stage"

I just sit in silence, I'm trying to take in what she is saying but its not sticking. I can't concentrate.

"Can we go see her?" I hear Keira ask

"Yes" Serena says

That's the only word that means anything to me right now.

——

We all get in a mini bus and head to the hospital. There is me, Keira, Lucy, Georgia and Beth.

I can't concentrate, I'm anxious. My knee tapping up and down. I can't stop thinking about her, I just want to see her. That's probably been the worst part, not seeing her. The last image I have of her is her in her happy place, on the training pitch, laughing and joking. And then, the image of her on the floor in the gym, surrounded by everybody. My heart aches.

"Everything will be ok" Keira says to me quietly as she places her hand on my thigh

We head inside of the hospital and are all ushered into the family room by one of the nurses. It's actually a private hospital so we don't have to worry too much about the public right now. Max enters the room

"How is she Max?" Lucy asks straight away

"She's had the scan, but we don't know the results yet. She is sedated"

One of the doctors enters the room, he is taken back a little as he enters, I don't think he was expecting as many of us to turn up.

"There could have been another 15 of us here" Georgia laughs lightly, trying to lighten the mood a little