Chapter 18 - Debut

A.N: The games and results etc will not follow real games that have been played :)

Ellies P.O.V.

Today is game day. To say I am excited would be an understatement. I honestly can not wait to get on that pitch with my new team, new league and back to my home country. It will also be good to play against some of my lioness team mates too. Obviously, I played against friends whilst I was at Barcelona too but I think playing in the WSL will be different, especially playing teams like Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City who have several players each from the lionesses team so I cant wait to play against them at club level.

We are playing at home today, at Meadow Park so it means we don't have to do any travelling up north, which I'm glad about from a football perspective, but as I'm from the north, I cant wait to spend more time up there. Unfortunately there isn't a team based in Yorkshire in the WSL at the moment, but hopefully one day there will be.

We have to arrive at the ground 3 hours before kick off, which gives us time to have something to eat and then into the changing rooms to chill, get into the zone and get changed before we need to head out to start warm ups.

I arrive at the ground and can already see quite a lot of fans waiting at the players entrance for us all to arrive, as I start to make my way to the entrance I can hear the crowd "She's one our own" that will be Leah walking in.

As I get closer, I start to feel the nerves, not just for the game but also for approaching the crowd, as its the first time at Arsenal I'm not sure what to expect. Luckily, the crowd starts cheering and shouting my name, asking for pictures and my autographs. As much as I'd love too, we aren't allowed to stop for photos on the way into a ground before a match, which to be fair I'm glad about as although the game is still a couple of hours away, as players we are already getting prepared for game mode. I always make an effort after games though to take pictures, sign shirts and interact with the fans, its one of my favourite parts to be honest. As I walk through the crowd, I acknowledge them with smiles and a few waves as I do really appreciate the support they are showing me.

"You ok?" I hear as I walk into the ground, it's Leah.

"Yeah thanks, I must admit i was nervous walking up to the fans" I respond

"You did great" Leah smiles at me and gestures for us both to carry on walking.

"Are you feeling ok about the match?" Leah asks

"Yeah, I can't wait, I'm nervous but im more excited I think" I smile

"You will be fine, just do what you always do Twinks" Leah smiles back

——

We all have something to eat and its time to head into the changing rooms.

As I walk into the changing room, I see my cubby hole, I must admit it does feel a little strange seeing my name on the back of an Arsenal shirt, I'm glad Jonas let me keep my number 18 as that makes it look at least a little familiar. My training gear and my boots are also laid out for me, I had my boots specially printed for todays game, as always they have the rainbow, my initials and #18 but I also got 'Arsenal Debut' and the date printed on them too for this game. As I stand there for a second just staring and taking it all in, I feel an arm around my shoulder.

"Looks good ay mate" Beth smiles at me and leans her head on my shoulder

"Sure does, a little strange, but good" I smile and rest my head on top of Beths. I can hear the sound of a camera taking photos behind us, guess that will pop up on Arsenal socials at some point.

"Show them what you've got Jonesy" Beth winks at me and walks over to her cubby hole.

I'm normally quite up beat before a game, I am usually happy to have a chat, a joke and a little dance to the music pre-match up until we go out to warm up. But this time, I'm just happy to take it all in and have a little alone time, joining in with the odd conversation here and there but I want to be focused, this is my debut for Arsenal, my debut in the WSL and although I've not let it show to my team mates, I can't lie that the pressure of been signed for the record transfer fee has been getting to me over the last few days as it's all the pre-match media build up has gone on about.