511-515

Fang Zichen: "What's going on?"
  Liu Xiaowen's face was a little heavy: "I don't know either."
  Fang Zichen couldn't sit still: "How much rations do we have?"
  Li Yanmei is fully responsible for the matters in the rear. Liu Xiaowen was in charge of the military rations.
  "There are still more than 129,000 stones." Liu Xiaowen said.
  It sounds like a lot. If it were left in the village, a family of ten would not be able to eat it all in a lifetime, but now the Beijing Army, part of the Northwest Army, and the Ganzhou Army totaled more than 500,000 people, and such a small amount of food could not last long.
  In mid-July, Liu Xiaowen went to Fang Zichen and said that he was afraid that the military rations would be insufficient.
  The southern part of Daliang is in contact with the northern part of Daxia. Except for Qianzhou, there are no cement roads in other places in Daxia. The dirt roads are bumpy and uneven, making transportation extremely inconvenient. In addition, there are a series of issues such as taxation and grain adjustment. The military rations are really from It takes more than three months to transport it from the capital. For marching and fighting, food and grass go first. It is impossible to wait until the food is gone before reporting it. Therefore, Fang Zichen sent a letter to Xia Jinghong early, but now four months have passed and the army food has not been reported. They haven't been shipped yet.
  What's going on?
  The court is out of food?
  It should be impossible. The harvest of the first quarter of June grain has been completed long ago, and the court should have collected taxes early. It is impossible that there is no grain in the treasury.
  120,000 shi of food won't last long.
  Fang Zichen felt a headache, and for some reason he had a vague premonition in his heart.
  The more he thought about it, the more something was wrong, and he immediately called Lu Wutao and Zhang Quan over: "How many more explosives do we have?"
  "One hundred and twenty boxes."
  Fang Zichen was startled and asked quickly: "Hasn't Quzhou sent it over yet? ?"
  "It hasn't been delivered this month." Zhang Quan said.
  Fang Zichen's heart sank suddenly.
  Not good!
  He immediately ordered the troops to withdraw without fighting, and told Liu Xiaowen not to cook recently, but to just make some porridge.
  In the past, soldiers had to fight, march, and train, which required a lot of physical exertion. That was just a meal, but now that food is tight, they have to save it as a precaution.

  The soldiers below didn't know what happened, but they withdrew anyway.
  Fang Zichen wrote another letter to Xia Jinghong, asking someone to rush him 800 meters to the capital, but when he was halfway through writing, there was a lot of noise outside.
  Someone sent by the imperial court arrived.
  But he didn't bring any food.
  Lu Wutao's face turned dark: "Where is our food?"
  The person who came was Li Yuan's subordinate, and his attitude was quite arrogant. Lu Wutao was only fourth grade, which was the same grade as him, but civil servants had always looked down on military attachés. He glanced at Lu Wutao and then said: "There was an accident on the road. Your Excellency asked me to send you some money first."
  "Silver?" Lu Wutao became angry: "What we need is not money, what we need is food." , What will brothers eat if there is no food? What will we use to fight?" "
  That has nothing to do with me." Tang Feng said: "I was just ordered to deliver money, I can't control those things."
  Lu Wutao: "Then what accident happened? What? When can it be delivered?"
  Tang Feng looked indifferently: "It was washed into the river during transportation."
  Fang Zichen's letter urging the grain did not reach Xia Jinghong's hands. In July, the Ministry of Household Affairs had just collected the tax, and Xia Jinghong did not collect it from the treasury. I wanted to deliver it to Fang Zichen. The Ministry of Household Affairs was solely responsible for this matter, and Li Yuan was responsible for escorting it. However, when we were going all the way north to the Huaihe River area, the mountain on the inside of the official road suddenly collapsed, and the entire official road suddenly sank for several hundred meters. , all the carriages and horses carrying grain were rushed into the Huaihe River.
  August/September is the rainy season. It rains all night long and the water in the Huaihe River is very turbulent. Once the food is washed down, it disappears.
  Li Yuan immediately sent people to look for him, but he couldn't find him no matter how hard he looked. He had no choice but to return to Beijing to plead guilty.
  When Xia Jinghong heard that all the military rations sent to the northwest had been washed away, he almost fainted in the court, feeling that it was going to be the end.
  Without military rations, what will the soldiers fighting outside do?
  Thousands of tons of grain!
  The soldiers are waiting for this batch of military rations to eat!
  They were all gone now, and if one of them was not taken care of, his soldiers would starve to death.
  He wished he could kill Li Yuan immediately. Even destroying his nine clans would not be enough to atone for his sins. But natural and man-made disasters were unforeseen, so how could he be blamed? In addition, most officials from the court came out to plead with Li Yuan, saying that now is the time to employ people - many officials from Daxia have been sent to Beiqi and Daliao, and there are indeed not many people who can be used now.
  Fang Zichen sent a letter before leading his army to Beiqi, asking him to be cautious and to "stabilize" the rear, because the enemy wanted to stop the Great Xia army from advancing, with only two points, or an absolute crushing of military strength. , otherwise the Daxia army would have no power to resist, and he would have to withdraw.
  If one of them doesn't work, you can only do the other two.