0.6

*Laurel's P.O.V*
I always thought there was something wrong with me. As I already said, I have the worst habit of overreacting about everything that happens, and it wouldn't be different with Luke.

He asked me about college and well, all I did was answer him but got a little too excited about it and ended up talking too much. Nobody ever asks me about college and when he did... I thought he wanted to know, so I told him everything! The problem is: he took one entire day - and with that I literally mean a day, like 24 hours and a couple more - to answer, and when he finally does he acts like he didn't want to. I don't really understand his weird changes of behavior, and I can't help but think if it's something that I've done.

I consider texting him again to see if I change the subject the conversation will last, but then again: what if there's something wrong with me? I'm gonna be disturbing him, and that's the last thing I want. So I just stare at this last message. What did you do, Laurel?

I'm starting to feel sick when my phone rings.

"What's up, Riley?" I greet my colleague, slowly massaging my left temple with the free hand.

"Hi, Laurel. Just wanted to keep you informed. The samples we've ordered last week? They're here!" She says, excited. "You should come by and take a look at them... Unless you're busy today."

"Sure... I wasn't exactly planning anything today. Are you already there?"

"Nah. I got a call from Damian, he was responsible for the lab today. Even so, I'm way too overwhelmed to wait until tomorrow! Meet you there in 30?"

"Fine. I'm leaving my room now." I tell her and then hang up.

I grab my keys and put my shoes before heading to the lab, which is about 10 minutes by foot away from my dormitory. I really like the atmosphere on campus; students are always outside. While I'm walking some people greet me from their spot sitting on the grass. I've once had classes with two of them - Evelyn and Steve -, but I'm not so sure of who the other three guys are.

I finally get to the lab and when I open its door this guy comes out of nowhere, walking backwards while carrying a box and bumps into me, causing me to nearly fall.

"Holy shit man! Watch your steps!" I curse, massaging my left arm.

"Sorry! I really couldn't see you." The guy says. When I turn my attention from my arm to him to answer, I get petrified. He's one damn hot clumsy guy.

His hair is dark and his eyes are the brightest I've ever seen.

"I hope you didn't get hurt." He tells me after a moment, awkwardly smiling.

Fuck, what kind of smile is this.

"I-it's okay." I stutter, looking at my feet because I feel my cheeks burning. "But next time you should try walking facing your path. It could avoid worse accidents." I smile, timidly.

"You're probably right." He smirks. "I was just trying to help, my friend works here too and asked me to leave this box outside next to the trash. I guess he doesn't want it anymore."

"Wait, what?" I open the box on his hands and check the content. There are just some old papers and broken test tubes wrapped in a plastic bag. I take it in my hands and shake. "I broke one of these."

"You work here?"

"Yeah. I'm coordinating one of the studies."

"Sweet." He smiles. So I allow him to keep his journey with the box. "I still think I hurt you. We bumped hard! Are you sure you're okay?"