6.5

*Luke's P.O.V*

"All right, you guys, I hope you enjoyed your rest" John tells us, with a bunch of papers in his hands. "Now this is serious business. They always ask me to talk to you guys because they know we get along. So pay attention, we're touring all over the US to promote the new album, which means interviews, photoshoots and small gigs."

"We are more than ready" says Calum.

John chuckles.

"I know, you were born ready. All I ask is: don't screw up. Yes, I'm talking to you, Luke."

I stare at him with a questioning look.

"What did I do?"

"You think the bosses didn't see your show in San Francisco because of your girlfriend? Getting in a fight with paparazzi is never a good idea."

I roll my eyes.

"You know how much drama they can lay on you, and now it's not the time." John continues.

"Don't worry" Michael assures. "But they must know what to ask."

"We'll try make it all about music but you are well aware it doesn't work out. If they ask personal questions, answer them quickly and change the subject. Be clever"

Our first interview is at a radio station here in LA. When we get there Calum tells me:

"They will most definitely ask about Laurel. What are you gonna do?"

I cringe, sighing.

"What can I do, anyway? I'll try avoiding it"

"Are you gonna tell the truth?"

I look away. To be honest, I don't want to answer that. Ashton calls us before I could say anything, and we get ready for the interview.

At first it's all good; professional questions, about music and career. And then they started with the personal ones; Ashton was the first victim.

"So, Ashton, we know that you're dating Bryana" The woman, I guess her name is Pamela, starts. "It's been so many years, right? Would you say she inspires your writing?"

"Most definitely yes" Ashton chuckles, blushing. "But we all have our own inspirations, I mean, the four of us."

Pamela turns instantly to me.

Damn it.

"Yeah, we know that Luke has been seeing someone lately... Laurel? Is that her name?" She asks.

I blink, trying to think fast.

Think Luke, think think think.

"That's an Arrow character, isn't it?" Calum get in the middle and I let out a relieved sigh. "I like that show"

"Yeah! It's pretty cool, although How I Met Your Mother is better" I reply, and so we start talking with each other.

I glance at Pamela and she's looking suspiciously at me; I know she didn't swallow.

"So this is it? You're not gonna say anything, Luke?" She insists.

I laugh, embarrassed.

"I would say if there was something to be said. Michael has news, though. He's been going out with someone as well"

Pamela turns her attention to Michael, and I'm pretty sure he's gonna kill me later.

Sorry mate.

After the interview we head to the airport; New York City awaits.

On the plane Michael comes talk to me. And like white on rice, he's pissed.

"Why the fuck would you put me in the middle of that?" He frowns. "Why don't you just bite the bullet and tell everyone?"

"I'm sorry, Mikey, that was all I could think of!" I defend myself.

"What's going on, Luke? This ain't you. I remember you talking about finally taking Laurel as your official girlfriend like, a month ago. And now you refuse to talk about her?"

"I don't want her to suffer with the lack of privacy we do. She doesn't deserve it.  I need to protect her."

Michael laughs, preparing himself to watch a movie.

"Dude, I really don't know what you're gonna do with your life. Seriously."

And I'm left alone with my thoughts.

In New York they ask the same question, and even showed me the article they wrote about us when I visited her in San Francisco. According to that article I was still seeing A as well.

How to dribble it? Turning to music, obviously. And this is what I try to do: every time they come with suspicious subjects I start talking about random stuff about the album, and the guys help me keeping the topic.

A week of interviews goes by and when we are in Miami, Amanda calls me.

"It's good that you're not giving in to the pressure. You can tell people that we are still together if you want"

I huff.

"Seriously?"

She giggles.

"I'm just saying. They know we are still seeing each other."

"We are not. Don't start. I just want to protect her."

"Then maybe you should make them think we are still together."

Honestly, I'm still wondering if that's a good plan or not. Granted, if they thought I was with Amanda they would stop asking about Laurel and stalking her.

In the end, I decide I'm not gonna put A into this.

Apparently I'm not screwing up, and I believe Laurel doesn't even know what's happening; I'm glad she did as I asked and stayed away from gossiping websites and stuff like that.

I know that when she finds out she's gonna be mad at first, and she'll have every right to. But then we'll figure out what to do together, and everything will get back to normal.

I was even considering taking a break from music.

I was.

So many times I caught myself wondering if having something with Laurel, whether it was a relationship of a friends with benefits thing, would be a good idea; and now I am trying my best to hide her from anyone else to protect what we have.

Will she understand? Amanda thinks so, even though I shouldn't trust her judgement.

I consider telling the truth; telling everyone how much I love my girlfriend, post pictures with her, go out with her without giving a shit about lack of privacy. Hiding her is getting harder and harder, and I want to break the silence so much.

However, I then remember who I am: a part of this crazy entertainment industry, hiding itself behind pretty faces and talents in order to make money out of every goddamn aspect of their lives, professionally and personally. I'll never escape this game, I accept that, but Laurel doesn't have to play along.

Which is why I take a deep breath and carry on.

--------------
Where is it all going, anyway? *cracks devilish grin*

Thank you so much for reading loves! Don't forget to comment, vote and share if you like it, and stay tuned for the next update!

Love you all, stay beautiful 💗 xo