6.8

*Laurel's P.O.V*
May 30th

we need to talk, call me asap

I shiver at Luke's text, fearing the worst. It's never a good thing when he texts me like that.

I walk round and round my apartment, trying to figure out what he could possibly say.

"What's wrong?" Riley looks up from a book to me. "You seem nervous."

"You bet I am" I admit. "Luke just sent me a text saying we needed to talk. I really don't want to figure out what he means."

"Do it like waxing, quickly so it hurts less" she jokes. I take a deep breath and press the call button.

"Hey"

"Baby!" I smile at the sound of Luke's voice. "Hi, I... I read your text. What happened?"

"Promise me you're not gonna get mad" He says.

I feel my stomach twisting and contracting. This could never be good.

"Oh, God, just say it."

"I can't go on your birthday. I'm sorry."

My jaw drops.

"Luke! You promised me!"

"I know, I know" He hurries up. "Let me explain: they invited us to be on Ellen right on your birthday. I told them I had business out of town but my manager almost ripped my heart off. We need this, we're still promoting the new album and the more we get it, the happier my bosses get."

"I can't even believe this" I whine, collapsing on my bed. "You told me you'd show up."

"Baby girl, I know you're mad, but please don't. I had no choice, I swear to God. You can ask Ashton, he was in the room while I was arguing with my manager." He sorrows.

I feel like screaming out loud. My relationship with Luke was, at first, a fairytale, and now it's not even close. It's only decreasing and decreasing daily, I can sense I am losing him, or, we are losing each other.

I'm very angry. Shouldn't I?

"Okay, whatever." I spit, furiously. "If you have more important things to do, it's your job, I get it. Just don't promise me anything else."

"I'll send you something"

"I don't care about stuff, I want you. But there's not even how to choose: your career will always be more important than me."

I hang up, grabbing my pillow and tugging my face against it, groaning loudly.

"Gosh, things aren't going well, are they?" Riley stands up from her desk, coming towards me. "Wanna talk about it?"

"I'm really stressed out, so I may be rude to you" I warn her. She smiles softly.

"I don't care. You are my friend, just take a deep breath and spit it all out."

So I tell Riley what Luke said, almost crying.

"Hmm, that's, like, your tenth fight ever since I moved in" She analyzes. "Don't you think you're pushing your relationship to the edge?"

"We are, I know so, and I might be a little too harsh on him but I can't avoid it. It wasn't like this before, I told you that already. He used to be way more caring and now I can barely call him my boyfriend."

Riley looks away, chewing on her bottom lip.

"Okay, listen." She begins. "I don't know if you're gonna like the idea, but what if you go to LA?"