3.0

a/n: if you're looking for other Luke fanfics too, don't forget to check out my ongoing "Good Enough" :)

Monday, December 14th

*Laurel's P.O.V*
"Riley, I need you to take care of it all now." I tell my colleague. "If the drugs stop working or anything happens, please call me. This is very important to me."

Riley smiles fondly and hugs me.

"Don't worry about a thing, Laurel. I'm going to be here almost everyday to take a look at the samples. And if the guys from San Fran call I'll immediately let you know."

Even though Riley is not exactly my friend, I trust her a lot. She wants the same thing I do, and if I get to San Francisco, I'm surely gonna do something about her so she can get a better job.

I say goodbye to everyone in the lab and head back to my apartment to finish packing.

Between us, I'm thrilled by the thought of going to Sydney with Luke, but I'm also frightened. What if his family doesn't like me? What will he tell them when he introduces me? Probably everyone will be wondering about where Amanda is... what if they think I'm her?

Somebody knocks on my door, interrupting my thoughts. I sigh and leave all my clothes on the bed to open it.

A tall, tan, dark haired figure is standing in front of me, eyes on the ground, hands behind his back. When he realizes the door is open and looks me in the eyes, I feel like falling down an abyss.

I try to quickly close the door but he steps forward, preventing it.

"Please don't shut the door again." He whispers like it was hard for him to speak.

"Austin, I'm busy right now." I look to both sides, trying to find a way out.

"I just need you to listen."

I sigh, stepping away from the door so he could get inside. I turn my back and keep on setting my clothes in my suitcase.

"Please be quick, I've got a plane to take."

"I know I messed up that day, okay? I wanted you to give me another chance but don't you worry, I'm not here for that matter. I came because I miss you. I miss our talks, I miss the way I feel when I'm around you, how you make me smile, your stupid jokes, your sarcasm. I miss it all, Laurel. And if you're not going to be my girlfriend that's okay."

I stop to look at him and he exhales, relieved that something he said touched me.

"We can be friends. All I ask is: let me be in your life. I know you're in love with that dude Luke, but I'm in love with you..." He comes closer to me and gently rubs my cheek, his face twisted in pain. "It's been almost a month since I crossed the lines and acted like a dick with you. I don't want you to think I'm one; not trying to make excuses or anything, but I was upset. It's not like I've been rejected before, maybe because had I never wanted someone that much... I miss you, Laurel. Do you think we could make it happen? Do you think we could be friends?"

I feel like I'm tearing apart. Austin opened up with me. He knew I could simply slam the door on his face or even crush his feelings, but he decided to take the risk. He literally gave his heart to me, to hold it or break it.

Isn't it what I was trying to do with Luke, after all?

The only difference is that I've never talked about it with him, but the feeling is quite the same. I couldn't push Austin away again; not when I know exactly what he's going through.