5.7

If there's any silent reader reading this, hi there! Reveal yourself, my friend! 🙃

*Luke's P.O.V*
I walk round and round the waiting room of the San Francisco General Hospital, trying not to freak out and break into the operating room.

"Luke, calm down, dude, you're gonna wreck the floor if you keep on walking on the same line" says Ashton, sat by Michael's side.

"Yeah, man, try to relax" Michael adds.

"Relax?" I spit. "Do you think I could fucking relax when my girlfriend is somewhere inside this goddamn hospital and I haven't heard from her for two freaking hours?!"

"Getting nervous won't help! Come sit here with us, let's just patiently wait."

"Hey, Luke, I got you a Twix" Calum comes back from the vending machine. "Any news?"

I shake my head, trying hard to swallow the knot in my throat. Calum passes me the Twix but I can't even stand looking at it; if I eat anything right now I'm pretty sure I might just throw up.

Sighing, I sit on a chair away from the boys. I hold my head in my hands, harshly pulling my own hair.

I'm worried to death.

"Uh, Luke" Michael whispers and I look up to face him. He points at somewhere on the corridor. "Is that Austin?"

I frown, glowering at the direction he was pointing.

"It can't be, he lives in Charl..."

Oh hell no.

Striding through the corridor, the guy comes towards us. He doesn't see me glaring at him as he passes by and tries breaking into the aisle that takes to the rooms. A nurse comes after him and puts her hand on his shoulder, guiding him back to the waiting room.

Looking devastated, his gaze finally meets mine.

I know he's just as happy to see me as I am.

"Lucas?" He asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

"For the last time, it's Luke" I snap, standing up to stop right in front of him. "What are you doing here?"

"Me?" He laughs sarcastically. "What are you doing here?"

"It's my freaking girlfriend in there" I point to the forbidden aisle. "Do you think I wouldn't show up?"

"Well I thought you guys had broken up, I don't think you were here during Valentine's Day" He grins devilishly at me.

I swear I'm about to punch his face when Michael comes around, holding my arm tight.

"Hi there, Austin, remember me?" He greets.

"Yes. Hi, Michael."

"I'm sorry, but don't you live in Charlotte?"

"I got a job offer in town" He responds, staring at me. "I'm moving in permanently in two months."

My breath is becoming even more unsteady, my hands are shaking in anger. This motherfucker can't be serious.

"Um, congratulations. Do you know what happened to Laurel? We don't have any details."

I abruptly pull back my arm, leaving Michael's reach.

Austin takes a deep breath, scratching his nape.

"It was around 6pm, Laurel was leaving campus. I offered her a ride back to her apartment but she refused it, saying she'd get a cab. I don't exactly know what happened because when she ditched me I headed to my car, but suddenly I heard horns, then a burn out and finally a crash. I ran back to the street to see what happened. The cab was literally in pieces, another car hit it from behind, the brake probably wasn't working and the driver lost the control.
When I saw it was Laurel's cab I hurriedly called 911. Some guys from college showed up to help."