8.5

a/n: another the script song because these guys are the love of my life and their songs just go so well with the book!

*Luke's P.O.V*

After what seems an eternity we arrive and I close the door behind me, waiting for Laurel to speak again. She sits on the couch and gently touches the spot next to her, so I could sit too.

"I thought I knew what to say to you right now" She admits, with a sad smile. "I thought it would be like a movie scene, in which I'd have the complete speech and everything would work out the way I want to. But we are not in a movie, are we?"

"I guess not" I reply, adjusting myself on the couch.

She looks up at me and chuckles, wiping her eyes.

"You look different. Why did you decide to shave?"

"I needed a change" I shrug my shoulders, glancing at her. That's when I see the necklace I gave and point at the pendant, "I thought you didn't wear it anymore."

She looks down, holding it between her index finger and thumb.

"Actually I wasn't, because I wanted to forget... but a few days ago I missed everything and, I don't know, since I couldn't reach you in other ways, wearing it seemed the best option. It reminds me of all the good moments we've been through"

"Oh"

The silence fills the air until she comes closer to me, holding my hands. I shiver at her touch.

"Luke, I'm sorry. I was selfish, but it was so hard for me, you have no idea. All I wanted was to be next to you, and kiss you, and feel your arms around me... I found myself alone every night thinking about how different it would be if I had a job, um... like yours"

"I felt alone too"

"I know you did, but I was the asshole. I made two mistakes in a roll. That day, when I called to speak with you, God, I don't know why I didn't say everything back; I was going to, I could. But I thought... I thought you were better off without me."

I swallow the knot forming in my throat, gently rubbing the back of her hand.

"Laurel, I don't get your point in here" I smile. "What are you apologizing for, exactly? There's nothing to be forgiven, you simply thought we didn't work"

"Yeah but it hurt me every single day after that, so much I regretted my decision over and over again, every time I saw you on a poster at a music store near college; whenever someone smiled at me, I remembered your smile. So many things take me to you, Luke"

Listening to her words made my heart overflow joy. It was like, after days of darkness, someone finally turned on the light. I look deep into her eyes and my instincts pull me forward. I gently hold her cheek, carefully coming closer. I keep eye contact to make sure it was okay, approaching my mouth to hers. When I'm about to close my eyes, though, she sighs, pulls my hand away and stands up.

"I don't think that's a good idea" She whispers, holding her breath.

I tilt my head, staring confusedly at her.

"What is not a good idea? Me trying to kiss you? After all you said? Don't you mean those things?"

"Of course I mean every word, but this. Us."

"Laurel, you confuse me" I shake my head, walking towards the opposite side of the room. "You say you miss me but then when I try making us work again, you push me away. Why did you come back, then, if it's not for us to solve this once and for all?"