3.8

a/n: I love this ☝🏻️ song so much omg

December 24th

*Luke's P.O.V*
Sometimes I feel like Christmas Eve is even better than actual Christmas. We are having a barbecue in the backyard. Laurel finally gets the chance of meeting Molly, our dog.

"Will she bite or bark at me?" She inquires, staring fixedly at Molly.

"If you keep on frightened like a little girl she probably will" I laugh. I start petting Molly and Laurel hesitantly follows my lead.

"Oh well, she didn't eat my arm" She jokes, caressing Molly.

Jack comes close to us to talk and we stand up.

"So Laurel! What are the impressions of Australia so far? Did Luke take you to anywhere else?" He asks her, taking a sip of his beer.

"It is an amazing place, to say the least! Luke took me to Taronga Zoo and Bondi beach. Also some other beaches I don't know the name" She replies, smiling. "Oh, and we also went to that Lindt Café where the shooting happened, I was speechless."

Laurel's phone rings and she takes it off her pocket. She looks concerned at the screen and clears her throat, beaming at us.

"Sorry, I need to pick that up." She excuses and goes inside.

"Now I need to know how it's going between you two" Jack begins.

It's been exactly 8 days since I asked Laurel to be my girlfriend and didn't tell anyone yet, perhaps because I asked her myself to keep it a secret for now.

But Jack is my brother.

"We are... dating" I smile. "I asked her to be my girlfriend last week"

"I knew it!" Jack cheers, making more noise than I wanted him to.

I tell him so be quiet and he mocks me.

"Dude, these are all family. What's wrong with them knowing about it?"

"I just don't want them to. At least not yet."

"It's not like anyone here is going to say something, Jesus."

I try to stop Jack, but fail miserably.

"Hey guys!" He shouts, getting everyone's attention. "Guess who finally got his head out of his ass and asked Laurel to be his girlfriend?! This dude, mi hermano!"

Mum laughs and applauses, so does my dad and everyone else. Laurel comes back exactly at this moment and gives me a questioning look. I simply sigh, smiling, and open my arms.

She chuckles and timidly walk towards my embrace, resting her head on my chest.

"Thank goodness you chose a nice woman this time, Lewi" Ben chuckles.

"Yeah, remember the last one you brought here? What was her name again? It was--"

"Jack, no" I cut him off, pressing Laurel tight against me. "This little one here is the only girl that matters now."

Laurel looks up and smiles tenderly at me.

I think the weirdest thing about being in love is that all of a sudden you start seeing the world differently. Many times I catch myself thinking of Laurel in the most common situations: listening to Oasis, for instance. Whenever I listen to Champagne Supernova or Whatever I smile and think of her. Whenever I see vegemite. When I look into someone's hazel eyes I immediately think of hers. Every goddamn time I walk through a Starbucks.