7.5

a/n: hello silent readers! don't be silent! ☺️ <3 enjoy your reading lovelies!

*Laurel's P.O.V*
September 1st

It's been three months since I last talked to Luke, and some aspects in my life certainly changed. For instance, nobody can talk about Australia, penguins, dogs, vegemite, Nemo and How I Met Your Mother. His name is completely out of my vocabulary, I haven't listened to 5sos or AC/DC since June. Hey There Delilah? I cannot even think about it. I deleted Beautiful Goodbye from my playlist. One Call Away doesn't even exist anymore.

However, a lot of situations are not under my control, and when any of those things show up on my way I hold my breath and cry when I get home. I've lost so much weight; I can't eat properly yet. I've got bags under my eyes and my hair is a complete mess all the time. For some reason I don't care about the way I look anymore.

Riley has tried lots of times to go out with me and have fun, but I end up feeling "sick" and we return so I can lay down and brood over the moments I had with Luke. Those were the best of my life, and now I've got nothing left but this: memories.

It's Sunday, 4:42pm. Riley and I are watching some Hitchcock movie. She's got the bowl of popcorn on her lap just for herself while I am holding my knees against my chest on top of the armchair, DV by my side. I'm actually not paying attention to the movie but since Riley insisted on it I decided to pretend I was feeling better.

My phone rings. I lazily stand up to grab it on top of the table, knowing that it's probably Jim asking for my report - which I should have done this week but didn't because I can't work when I'm sad - but I stop my hand on its way when I see who's calling.

My heart is beating like crazy.

"What the hell?" I whisper, my stomach twisting and contracting. "Huh... Riley?"

"Hmm?"

"Michael is calling me"

She turns around fast as a lightning, her eyes wide open.

"Michael Michael? That Michael?" She frowns.

I nod, holding my breath.

"What do I do?" I'm panicking.

"Don't pick up!"

Both of us wait patiently until the phone stops floundering. When it does I let out a relieved sigh, turning around to get back to my armchair.

However, it rings again.

"He won't quit" Riley analyses. "You'd better answer, then. It could be important"

I bite my lip, throwing the phone at her.

"There, you pick up!" I point at it, shaking. "Put it on the loudspeaker"

Riley looks at me like I'm crazy but ends up doing as I say.

"Uh, hello?" She says.

"Hi, who's this? Laurel?" asks Michael on the other side.

Whoa, it's been a long time since I last listened to this accent.

"No, this is Riley, I'm her, um, her friend. We live together."

"But this is Laurel's phone, isn't it? Where is she?" He enquires. Riley looks at me freaked out and I shake my head.

"She's... not here. She's taking a shower." She squints and I curse her on my mind for being a worse liar than me.

"Oh, okay... When she gets back can you please ask her to text me? It's important."

I wave at Riley for her to look at me and whisper ask what is it about at her. She nods.