5.6

this ☝🏻️ is gold okay
happy Valentine's Day, my loves! 💕

*Luke's P.O.V*
It's been a month since Laurel moved to San Francisco, and I couldn't go there yet. The truth is that with a new album coming the record label is pushing us way too much, and we really do need to finish composing five songs and recording them all in two weeks.

I believe that when pressure is put up on you, you don't exactly work with your heart, you're forced. Music sort of loses its purpose.

"Luke" Calum calls me as I'm tuning my guitar. "Your phone is ringing."

"Let it ring"

"But it's FaceTime! It's your mum!"

I stand up to grab my phone, which I dropped by a corner table somewhere in the room.

"Hi mum" I smile.

"Hi sweetie, it's been so long! Did you forget mumma?" She jokes, and I chuckle.

"Of course not, I miss you. How's everything back home?"

"It's fine. Jack is finally getting married"

I goggle my eyes.

"What?! That asshole, he didn't tell me!"

"Oops" She giggles. "Don't tell him I told you. He's going to call soon"

"When is it?"

"I guess it's by the end of August, he told me yesterday. I'm sure he's calling you today."

"He better do" I laugh. "How's dad? Ben? Aunt Cassidy?"

"Everyone is doing well, we're just really missing you and Laurel! How is she, by the way?"

"She's good" I smile. "She got a scholarship to study at UCSF, so she moved to San Francisco"

"Really? That is awesome!" Mum cheers. "Are you with her? I want to congratulate her myself!"

"Actually I'm not" I sigh. "I'm inside the studio with the guys trying to finish writing a song" I turn the camera so she can see the entire room. "Say hi guys!"

"Hey Liz!" Ashton is the first one, waving. Calum and Michael do the same.

"Hi boys!" She replies. "I just wanted to hear from you, son. So everything's fine?"

"Yes, mum. I miss you."

"I miss you too, but we'll be together soon again."

I turn off the phone so I can be totally focused on the unfinished song before me. It took us the entire evening, but it's done. It's finally done.

"Phew, I'm tired as hell" Ashton puffs. "What if we go out?"

"The Nice Guy?" I suggest. "We'd have to reserve it though."

"Perhaps we could eat tacos?" Michael commends.

"Tacos it is" Ashton grins.

•••

Back home I'm so goddamn exhausted I don't even know. I love my job, I really do, but as I said before, the record label pressuring us isn't exactly cozy.