4.4

*Laurel's P.O.V*
December 30th, 3am

I try silently sneaking out from my room to call Jim. Luke's arms are around me and he's in one deep sleep; he can't wake up.

I go on my tiptoes toward the bathroom and close the door. Scrolling through my contacts I find Jim's name and press it.

"Hello?" He picks up.

"Jim, hi! It's Laurel, from UNCC." I whisper.

"Good afternoon, Laurel! How are you?"

"It's more like good night for me" I giggle. "I'm in Sydney visiting my boyfriend's family. I'm good, thank you. What about yourself?"

"Oh, time zone, right? I hope I'm not getting in the middle of anything"

"Of course not!" I hurry, clearing my throat. "I mean... I'm sorry that I had to hang up so quickly today, I'm keeping this a secret."

"That's not a problem. Actually it was good that you called now, because I have news!"

My heart beats faster.

"You do? Jesus, I'm so nervous right now!"

Jim laughs.

"We got your colleague's email... Riley, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"She emailed us the results and all the procedures and I'm pretty confident about your scholarship. The supervisors liked what you did, apparently. But of course, I'm not confirming anything yet"

"Jim, this is more than I could wait for!" I cheer, feeling my eyes fill with tears of joy. "Thank you so much for contacting me and for giving us a chance!"

"It was my pleasure. There's only one step left before we choose who is getting the scholarship. The other group comes from Utah, and they presented something similar. However, I'll do everything on my reach to assure you'll get this; I'm personally touched by what you're proposing."

I cover my mouth with my hands. I wanted to tell Luke so much!

"I'm so happy right now, Jim! Thank you so much!"

"No, thank you. I hope we get to meet each other in person here at UCSF. Whenever I have news I'm calling, or do you prefer messaging?"

"Actually that's a more viable choice" I smile, awkwardly. "As I told you, I want to keep it a secret. When you call I can't exactly hide it, so messaging would be better for me"

"And can I ask why you don't want to tell such amazing news to your loved ones?"

"I want it to be a surprise" Luke's figure appear on my mind and I can't help smiling goofily at the wall. "My boyfriend, he lives in LA... our relationship is a bit complicated due to distance, you can imagine. Moving to San Francisco would make everything easier for us, flights don't take as long and we could see each other way more often."

"So you'll be getting two amazing opportunities all at once!" I hear the smile on Jim's voice. "I'm so glad we can offer you that. The guys from Utah are pretty good, but don't lose hope, you can still get this."

"Thank you so much, Jim! And have a good day."

"You too, I mean, a good night" He laughs and then hangs up.

I squeak, unable to hide my happiness and excitement. I know Luke is suspicious but I love surprises! Can you imagine his face when he finds out I'm going to move to San Fran?

He must not know what the messages are about.

I go on the settings and turn off the message preview. Then I slowly open the bathroom door and tiptoe back to bed. Luke is in the same position, softly snoring. I stand still watching him for a couple moments. How could he be sleeping and still look just as gorgeous?

When I'm sleeping I look like a freaking pig.

I crawl towards his embrace again, sliding against his chest. I wrap his arm around me and kiss his hand.

"I love you" I whisper "I really do"

Luke mumbles something I'm not so sure about and pulls me closer, making me shiver. It's weird that after someone becomes your valentine you get way more nervous than when you were nothing but friends with benefits. At least that's what happens to me.

I slowly fall asleep as I focus on Luke's steady breathing, and dream about how better life will be if I really get that scholarship.

-------------
Smallest chapter so far but it's just a filler so you guys can understand who Jim is. Yes, he's a new character but he's not that important. If you guys thought Laurel was cheating on Luke you were dead wrong haha poor girl!

Comment telling me what you think, and don't forget to vote and share it you like it!

Stay beautiful 💗 xo