7.7

a/n: because this ☝🏻️ is one goddamn incredible song and it fits Laurel's situation so much right now. listen to it as you read, you won't regret it!

*Laurel's P.O.V*

"Laurel, are you sure you're okay?" Riley screams through the loud noises of the bar. "We gotta go to college tomorrow... today, actually, considering the time. Shouldn't we be home by now?"

"Weren't you telling me all the time to have fun?" I groggily reply, taking another shot of tequila. Some people were screaming chug to me sooner, I don't know where they went though.

"I know, but I'm uncomfortable in here," Riley tugs a piece of her hair behind her ear, adjusting her glasses. "I feel like a piece of meat. Can't we just go home?"

I sigh, blinking a few times to focus on her.

"If that's what you want to do..."

Riley calls out a cab as it takes me maximum effort to stand still.

I don't usually drink this much, but considering how miserable and sad I am after that call, I could care less.

Inside the car I angrily go to Amanda's profile on Instagram, glaring at her fucking ugly face.

"She looks like a cockroach" I laugh. "Why would Luke want a cockroach? God, what a bad taste."

"Laurel, stop" Riley takes the phone away from me. "You need to sleep, we have a lot of things to do in the morning."

"I don't care about the morning, I just want to have some fun" I pout. I take a look at the street, weirdly recognizing the place. "I've been here before... where are we?"

"It's Potrero Hill, mam" The driver answers.

The lightbulb turns on.

"Pull over, now" I command.

He does as I say and I stumble off the car.

"Laurel?!" Riley calls out, unbelieving. "What the hell are you doing?!"

"Just go home, okay? I'm gonna be fine, see you at campus!" I wave at the taxi, which vanished in the night after some seconds. When it's gone I resume my way, walking towards a house I've been to only once and never expected to come back.

I get to the porch and ring the bell about three times.

The door opens lots of minutes later.

"Laurel?" Austin frowns. "What are you doing here?"

Before I could respond my feet take me inside, pushing Austin with me. I close the door behind me, smirking at the sight of his bare chest.

"I was at the bar but Riley wanted to leave" I pout in between hiccups. "So I decided to stop by"

"Okay but why? You're so drunk" He chuckles, running his hands through his hair.

I groan, making my way towards him and clumsily attaching our lips. Austin is taken by surprise, he barely touches me.

"What the fuck?" He pulls me away, holding my arms. "You're not well, love, let's take you home"

I slap his arms off me and grab his neck, kissing him again. I wrap one leg around his waist, biting on his bottom lip.

"I just had this terribly awful day, you know... And even though I'm mad at you, we could have some fun together..." I touch the tip of his nose, laughing madly. "You know you want me. I'm here."

He stares down at me and I can tell he's into a serious internal conflict.

"Rel, this ain't you, you're just saying all those things because you're drunk and you're gonna regret it in the morning." He pulls me away again.

"Then let it be in the morning, your wuss" I crack a devilish grin.

Austin finally gives him, pulling me up as I wrap both my legs around his waist. He kisses me deeply, taking him to his room. I instantly take my shirt off when he lays me down on his bed, crawling to get to me.

"I can't believe this is happening" He whispers, kissing in between my breasts.

And for the first time in a lot of months I feel wanted, even having a giant scar over my stomach and hipbone.

As he goes on, Luke's face crosses my mind, and I picture that's him, all of that is happening between me and him.

If only I had opened my goddamn mouth when I should.

•••

Memories of last night flash through my mind like a blur. I'd be lying if I said I didn't know what happened, but I most definitely don't want to think about it.

Laurel, you're an asshole. You just got the award for the assholest person in the world. Yay you.

I stare at Austin sleeping by my side and feel nauseous. I look at my phone and it's 7 in the morning; if I hurry up I might be able to get to my apartment, take a shower and go to college with Riley.

I put on my clothes from yesterday; the smell makes me wonder if anyone poured a giant bottle of alcohol on me. Gathering all my stuff and tugging them inside my purse I leave the room on my tiptoes. Thank God Austin didn't wake up.

He's a freaking asshole too.

I take the bus for the first time in ages, needing all my will not to cry inside of it. What did I do?

I never thought I would be bluer than I already was, but talking with Luke yesterday made me realize that there's nothing so bad that can't be worse.

But now I seriously think it can't. Rock, meet bottom.

I unlock the door to my apartment and rush inside my room, taking my things to the bathroom. I quickly shower and get ready at about 8:30am. Riley is probably waking up soon.

I sit on the couch, supporting my head on my hands, and my elbows on my knees, thinking of everything Luke said yesterday. My head hurts, I got a terrible hangover. So, I begin to wonder what he is doing right now, if after he hung up he went to a club to have sex and drink, do drugs or whatever. My stomach twists at the thought, Luke is too flawless for that, he can't ruin his life because of a relationship that ended, right?

Uh... isn't it what I'm gradually doing?

Riley's door opens up and she gets out of her room, scratching her eyes. When she sees me a small smile crosses her face.

"Good morning" she sleepily greets.

"Morning" I reply, taking a deep breath. She makes waffles and I remain shut as she eats. The good thing about Riley is that she knows when you don't want to talk about something; she doesn't push you to the edge, unlike Meg.

We get to campus in silence, I think of everything I've done, loathing myself. My phone buzzes as I'm inside the tram. Even though I don't recognize the number, I know who it is. Hiding it inside my bag, trying to hold back a stubborn tear that is insisting on streaming down my face.

I'm unable to keep a straight face as we pass by the music store and I catch sight of that 5sos' poster. My eyes meet paper Luke's and I bite my lip to suppress a whine of pain.

What the heck am I doing with my life?

-----------------
Guys, I just wanted to thank you for all the comments this book is getting. Thank you to every and each one of you for taking your time to read this crap and getting all emotional with me! I've been getting so much love from you, thanks for enjoying my work. I hope I'll never disappoint you!

Stay beautiful 💗 xo

Excitingly thinking about the update!

PS: to whom it may interest, the song in this chapter is called High and Dry, by Radiohead. It's one of my Top 10 songs of all time!