7.3

*Laurel's P.O.V*
July 30th

"So we're hanging out tonight, right?" says Austin through the phone.

"Yeah, why not" I shrug, drinking the rest of my coffee. The good thing about staying in the lab all day on Fridays is that the coordinators always give us caffeine and donuts for free.

If only I was able to eat.

"Great! I pick you up at eight, okay? We could go to a club or have dinner, you choose."

"Austin, you do know that we are hanging out just as friends, right?"

"Well, yes, but it's a date, isn't it?"

"No, it's not" I roll my eyes. "Just because I broke up with Luke doesn't mean my feelings for him are completely undone. You know that's not how it works."

"Yeah, and I don't want you to feel pushed or anything like that, but you have to move on sooner or later. I just wanna help you do so."

I sigh, massaging my temples. I broke the promise I made myself and ended up speaking his name. Now my heart is aching and I won't be able to focus on my work for the rest of the day.

That's awesome, Laurel.

When I'm finally able to leave the lab and get home, I take a quick shower and dress whatever until the time is right for getting ready to go out with Austin. I know that he's going to make a speech about how I should forget about him and that I'm much better off without all that madness.

I'm still wondering why Austin never told anyone about us.

I feed DV and pet him for several minutes, while I allow myself to access my happiest memories from last year for the first time in 2 months.

I think about when I met him. August 12th, just another common day in Charlotte. I had just left Megan's and stopped by Cake&Coffee to finish reading Wuthering Heights. I was pretty concentrated until a tall man comes inside the shop wearing a black leather jacket and sunglasses. He had a lip ring. I've always had a thing for lip rings, when it suits the person, of course.

And it matched him perfectly.

The guy spoke to the grumpy cashier in a low voice, but before he could turn over I reminded myself to stop staring and focus on Heathcliff. He sat on the table right in front of mine, but I didn't have courage enough to look up at him. I started to wonder how he looked like without his sunglasses because for some reason he was extremely familiar...

The girl brought his cupcake and I hear her gasp in the moment he thanks her.

"A-are y-you--" She begins but he shushes her.

"Please don't tell anyone."

I can't help but look up at the very familiar voice, and when I do, my suppositions were confirmed as I heard the girl asking to take a picture with him. My heartbeat fastened, my hands started sweating and I was this close to yell.

That was freaking Luke Hemmings. But he obviously didn't want people to know it was him, judged by the disguise he thought he was in. I silently giggled, turning my attention back to the book as I still kept an ear on their conversation.

When the girl started babbling about something very suspicious outside, I figured out he was in trouble and had to help him. I knew I'd never have a shot like that.

And my decision of gathering all my bravery and pssst changed my entire year. He looked at me and something happened.

Now, almost a year after it all began I catch myself crying over DV because I miss Luke like hell and I can't let myself call him. I've listened to his last voice message every day since he sent it because that's the only way I'm hearing his voice; I'm completely forbidden to listen to 5sos' songs.

I miss him so much... but Amanda and the secrets and Amanda and... and traveling all the time and... have I mentioned Amanda?

I drag myself towards my wardrobe to choose something to wear, still thinking about him. I'm not even a single inch close to being excited for this as I used to be when I would go out with him.

I'm putting a blue dress on when my phone rings. Someone is FaceTiming me.

"Hi, Meg!" I greet her, trying to hide my tears as I place the phone on top of my nightstand. "How's Charlotte?"

"It's okay, I miss you like crazy! I just graduated so I thought I should go to San Fran spend some time with you before I begin work. What do you think?" She fires.

"I think that's a good idea" I smile, putting my earrings on. Megan raises her eyebrows.

"Where are you going?"

"Out" I jokingly roll my eyes.

"With whom? Jim?"

"Nope, it's actually, huh... Austin"

Megan's smile fades away and she scratches her nape, looking uncomfortable.

"Meg? What's up?" I enquire, taking my phone in my hands.

"Um... I know you asked me to not talk about this, but I have to. Remember when I told you I had something to say about H?"

"Yeah...?"

"I really did say part of those things. But I was mad because you were sort of ignoring me, so I went out to chill. I went to this club and got drunk; that's when I said it."

"I don't know where you're taking this" I frown. Megan sighs.

"Laurel, I hanged out with Tyler. That's who I talked to about Sean. I told him your story but I never said it was just for attention, that was additional. I can't prove anything but I think--"

"Austin is H" I finish, whispering. Megan slowly nods.

After the information sinks in I let out a sarcastic laugh and collapse on the bed.

"When I think I can actually trust someone..." I gasp, unbelieving. "Why would he do this? Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I was drunk, Laurel, I could only remember things properly after some time and when I asked Tyler about it, he remained silent. So I was sure, and we broke up. I don't like Austin, I don't think you should go out with him."

I'm so angry right now I could break someone's arm, preferentially Austin's. I inhale deeply, trying to keep calm.

"I... I don't even know what to say, I'm very pissed." I clench my jaw. "However, that's not the reason why Luke and I broke up"

Damn it, I said his name again.

"What do you mean? Aren't you going to do anything?" Asks Megan, unhappily.

"Don't worry, I've got a plan." I smirk.

------------
Austin is H oh my God! haha who guessed it right?

Don't forget to vote and share if you like it, and always comment because I love reading what you have to say!

Thank you for reading and being here, next update is out soon! Stay beautiful 💗 xo