5.5

*Laurel's P.O.V
February 10th

"I'm going to miss this place so much" I tell myself as I look around my apartment. Now that I've packed everything, including all my portraits and ornaments, it looks so much bigger!

The cab gets here within half an hour, so I take a deep breath and close the door, locking it. I leave the key with one of the neighbors, Caleb, who I never really had a proper conversation with.

I walk through the hall dragging my two completely full suitcases, feeling my heart racing and my body shaking in expectation. One of my biggest dreams ever since I was a little girl is finally coming true: I'm moving to San Francisco.

Luke promised me we were going on a tour over the city after he finishes writing some songs the band is working on.

Speaking of Luke, what a terrible situation he put me through last week.

After six days of complete disappearance, he returned from the ashes to talk to me. I had truly lost all hope we would ever make up by then, and I was trying very hard to sleep when he called me. However, when I saw his name on the screen I thought I was dreaming with that for the third time in the week.

So, after that call, we made up and things seem to be going back to normal. Lesson learned: never try to surprise Luke if you are a terrible liar; he might just break up with you and leave you sobbing on the floor.

I really want to believe everything is okay now but I know in my heart that it's probably very far from that. Why? I fought with Megan. She's very important to me, no matter what happens. If you've ever left all you know to go to somewhere you didn't know a soul, you probably understand how lonely and not belonging we feel. Meg was the first one to talk to me, and she wasn't even in my classes; we met in the college hall, I was trying to find the room I should go to when she stopped by my side, asking if I was lost.

"Terribly lost" I admitted, blushing.

"It's okay" She laughed. "Everyone has had their first day."

She introduced me to a lot of people and invited me to go out. Exactly one year ago. Megan was my only friend for quite some time, I could trust her blindfolded! Honestly, I can't believe she was involved with that H thing.

Luke told me the first time it was Hannah, and I, for some reason, didn't tell him the second one was Megan. Perhaps because... I still believe she's innocent. The way she was denying everything with so much conviction made me wonder if she really is the one behind it, after all. Maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh to her...

I'm just gonna bite the bullet, though. Screw it. New city, new me.

The cab arrives and takes me to the airport. By the evening I already landed on San Francisco and I'm heading to my new apartment, again by cab.

First achievement for my life in San Francisco: getting a car.

My apartment stays in Diamond Heights. I clumsily drag up my suitcases and get to my door. I take a deep breath.

"Okay" I whisper to myself. "Let's go"

I open it. This one is way bigger than the other, oh my God! One room, granted, but its living room has got space enough for me to put a table, a tv, a stereo and whatever else I'd like to. I drop my things and lay on the bed - one of the only things that is already here -, and call Luke.

"I'm finally home!" I cheer.

"Great! How is your new apartment?"

"It's pretty good, better than the other. Tomorrow I start at UCSF, wish me luck!"

"Good luck, baby" He chuckles. "Sorry, I gotta go, we're just in the middle of this incredible song and I think we're finally finishing writing it! Talk to you later"

"Okay, good luck!"

We hang up. I set a few things in place until about 8pm, when my stomach rumbles. I go out by foot for a quick meal, enjoying the San Francisco night atmosphere.

I freaking love this place.

I stop by a McDonald's, even though here they're not like the fantastic ones in Australia. I'm ordering my cheeseburger when someone calls me.

"So, Facebook warned me about you moving to San Francisco! Congrats, you got the scholarship!"

"Uh, yeah. I literally just moved in. Thanks, Austin." I mumble.

"I'll admit I'm a little hurt that you didn't tell me yourself. I mean... you know I'm still in town, right?"

"Yeah, but I didn't really see the point in telling you" I retort, coldly. Austin puffs.

"Laurel, what is the attitude for? Is this all because of the song?" He asks. I roll my eyes.

"It surely helps, but it's not because of it."

"Where do you live? I'm stopping by so we can talk."

"Austin, I don't think that's-"

"Stop it! Seriously, Rel, we need to clarify some things. It's just a talk, what's wrong with that?"

I inhale deeply, trying to keep it cool. It's just a talk, Laurel.

"I'm at McDonald's near Diamond Heights. Can you come over now?"

Austin agrees and I wait for 15 minutes before he shows up.

"Hey" He says, sitting down before me.

"You look tanner" I comment, eating a huge piece of my cheeseburger. I don't really know why I waited for him to arrive so I could start eating, though.

"What can I say?" He shrugs. "I've been going to the beach a lot. I know you will as well. Now, let's talk. Why are you acting like a prick?"

"I think sometimes you forget I have a boyfriend, that's all"

Austin shakes his head.

"Believe me, I wish I could forget it" He chuckles. "It still hurts me daily, like, waking up and knowing that you're with someone else."

"I'm sorry" I'm not even a little touched.

Austin stares at me.

"Do you think I'm joking? Rel, for real, I'm still in love with you, and I think that dude Lucas is one piece of shit" I glare at him and he blushes. "But anyway, I thought we had agreed we'd be friends! And friends go out together and talk to each other, which is all I've been trying to do with you."

I let out a sarcastic laugh and clear my throat.

"I can't lie, you're on my mind stuck inside my head. I wanna feel your heart beat for me instead, yeah" I sing the lyrics to I Can't Lie.

Austin raises his eyebrows.

"So you know it by heart, huh?"

"The song is pretty addicting, sadly" I shrug. He laughs.

"Listen, I respect that you're with the scumbag, I really do." He twists his nose. "But I still think you belong by my side."

"If you keep on this crap we simply can't be friends!" I snap, unbelieving.

"Or we can for you to prove me I'm wrong" He insists, hurried. "Think about it, if you're so convinced Luke is the right guy for you, nothing I do will be able to change your mind. So what's the matter?"

"If you hit on me, I swear to God..." I glare at him.

"I won't, promise. Just... don't shut me down. I've said it before, you're special to me. And besides, it's not like I'm going to sit here waiting for you" He playfully rolls his eyes. "I'm hanging out with other women. All I want is to be friends with you. Do we have a deal, Rel?"

---------
Guys I'm sorry! I almost couldn't update today lol but I told you already, school is beating the shit out of me! Anyways, vote and share if you like it!

Looking forward to posting the next update! Thank you for being here, you make me love writing even more! Stay beautiful 💗 xo