4.5

*Laurel's P.O.V*

The flight back to Los Angeles is surrounded by an awkward silence. I think Luke is still upset because I got Jim's call while I was with him, and I really want to tell him the reason why, but I promised myself this would be a surprise and once he knows he's gonna forget it.

I mean, I hope so.

"Where will we be during New Year?" I inquire, closing my book and taking off one of Luke's earphones.

"Ashton said he is throwing a party, we could go there" He replies. "When is your flight back to Charlotte?"

"Tomorrow, actually" I chuckle. "3:45pm"

"Then it's all good. We have fun, drink like fish, kiss during the turning and go back home so you can rest to take it" He smirks, squeezing my cheeks. I lay my head on his shoulder, smiling to myself.

"I've got a feeling that everything will be better this year" I tell him.

"Why?"

"I don't know..." Actually I do.

"I hope so, dude" He small laughs. I look up at him and raise my eyebrows. "What?"

"Dude" I giggle.

"What? You don't like it?"

"On the contrary! I think it's so cool when guys call girls dude."

Luke beams and blinks.

"This is, in fact, something I've always defended. It really is cool, isn't it?"

"Totally"

•••
Los Angeles, December 31st

Luke and I are getting ready for Ashton's party when Megan calls me.

"I know I didn't call you on Christmas, but I barely talked to my own parents!" I try excusing, but she doesn't stop storming.

"Spare me, Laurel" She spits. "I miss you to death and you don't take one fucking minute to call me? I thought you had a single bit of consideration for me!"

"Meg, please" I laugh, nervously "You know I love you, but--"

"Let me talk to her, babe" Luke opens his hand so I deliver him the phone. "Hello, Megan? Hi! Remember me?"

I can hear her screaming from where I am standing, and Luke squints, moving the phone away from his ear.

"Yeah, I miss you too. Listen, I'm sorry that Laurel didn't talk to you during Christmas, but she was with me in Sydney. She didn't tell you? We're dating."

Luke glances at me and smiles. I feel my knees shaking.

"She's gonna tell you everything when she gets back. But meanwhile, I'm afraid I'm stealing her from you for some more time. Is that okay? I knew you'd understand. Take care!"

Luke hands me back the phone and I take it to my ear.

"Hello?" I try reaching her.

"FUCK YOU LAUREL GODDAMNIT HOW COME YOU DIDN'T FUCKING TELL ME YOU WERE DATING FUCKING LUKE HEMMINGS?!"

"Sweetie, I've got so many things to tell you!" I laugh. "You wouldn't believe it. But don't worry, I'll be back soon and we're having dinner together."

"We better have. Or I'll never forgive you" She retorts. I chuckle and hang up.

I love Megan. Specially when she's angry.