6.7

make sure to read the author's note by the end of the chapter!

*Luke's P.O.V*
May 13th

We land in San Francisco by midday and our first interview is at 4pm. Honestly, I'm tired as shit, I've got dark circles around my eyes, my hair is a mess and all those personal questions are pissing me off. I mean, more than usual.

Laurel is acting weird lately, but I don't think that's a bad thing considering what I'm doing; the more she stays away from me the more people will actually believe there's nothing about us, so there won't be any harassing, any humiliation for her.

This is breaking my heart, though.

"Hey, Luke" calls Ashton. "Since we're staying for a week, why don't we go see Laurel?"

I hem, looking to both sides. Jeff, one of our bodyguards, is walking ahead of us to clear the way.

"We can't, she's not in town" I lie.

Michael glances at me furrowing his eyebrows, and I shrug.

I know we should be together on our 'anniversary' thing, I really did want to be with her but, hey, how would anyone believe me when I say I'm not dating a girl who just moved to San Francisco if I get to see her right after I assured so?

"Oh, that's bad" Calum sorrows. "I wanted to see her, you know, the last time she was laying on a hospital bed full of cuts and bruises"

"I know, it sucks," I agree. "but she's okay, almost in perfect state."

We head to our hotel to have lunch and then brace ourselves for the interview, this time on TV. Before we go on air I text Laurel.

miss u

I sit down staring directly at my phone, waiting for her to answer. She doesn't even read it.

"Mr. Hemmings, 1 minute" A guy walks hurriedly through me. I sigh, nodding as I stand up.

"Here we go" I stop next to Calum, waiting for our cue.

The interview is good at first, the presenter is talking strictly about business: the songs about our newest album, possible music videos, awards and even how it is working on the studio. This kind of interview is ideal one, I guess, it allows me to chill.

However, it doesn't sell as much as gossiping.

"So, we all know musicians need inspiration to write their songs" The host begins, holding a copy of the CD for the camera. "This new album of yours has very good lyrics, from sad to extremely romantic ones. Would you guys say any of you were going through a tough phase?"

"I was feeling a little unmotivated with things in general, actually" Responds Calum. "But I guess we all feel like that sometimes."

"I think that's exactly why music can connect people" I add. "Through music it's like someone is telling you hey, you're not alone, we feel like that too"

The host nods.

"Speaking of which, are you in love Luke?"

My jaw drops.

"That's not even a way of approaching the subject, we weren't talking about it" I scoff.

"I know, but I guess we are all curious."

I glance at Michael, and then at the audience. I'm nervous, I really don't know what to say without sounding rude.

"I'm in love with music" I joke.