1. The First Day is The Hardest

"Alright class settle down" My homeroom teacher droned in his infamous monotonous drawl of a voice. He hasn't had much of a grip on this class since day one, when he decided that a seating arrangement in alphabetical order was a good idea.

Here's the thing: Zane Hijazi and Heath Hussar, two of 'The Boys' are in my homeroom and my last name is Holt, figure that one out.

Of course, I knew nothing about them on my first day and managed to make myself the talk of school gossip,just by being myself. Although I think I don't need to tell you that being yourself is most definitely not allowed. Not here. Social suicide and all.

First day:

Here we go Holt, you've done this eleven other times in September, three other times at new schools and you know that this is your last time. Ever. No more new schools, new states, new jobs. Just you and your life, wherever you want to be.

I took a deep breath and walked through the door. I had recently gone in and received all the necessary information like my class schedule, my locker and combination and my very own tour of the entire school so that I wouldn't be completely lost.

Of course, I was completely lost. And completely late, thanks to my own ignorance of bus timetables.

I managed to find my homeroom, bursting in with an apology ready on the tip of my tongue. But before I could even spit it out, I noticed everyone was standing around the classroom, not sitting down.

"Miss Holt, welcome. Find a space. We were just about to start" The man stated in a bored voice. He knew who I was so he must be Mr Adams, my home room teacher.

I didn't even get the chance to utter my apology because I was distracted by someone else walking through the door. Well two someones.

"Mr. Hijazi, Mr. Hussar. I was ecstatic when I found out you would be in my homeroom class" Mr. Adams said in that same bored tone, a hint of sarcasm. Well, a lot of sarcasm.

"Adams, sorry we're late man" The large one, who I learnt to be Zane, said.

"With a Tesla, you'd think Dobrik would drive a little faster but nope." The other one, Heath, explained.

"Right. Seventeen year old kid with a better car than any teacher in this school. Where were we? Ah yes, seating plan" He said and everyone simultaneously groaned. Except me. I mean, I knew no one here. What did it matter who I was stuck next to?

"As usual in my class, it will be alphabetical." Mr. Adams said, Heath and Zane exchanging high-fives.

"Sorry to interrupt your little celebration boys but you're not sitting next to each other" He continued, Zane and Heath looking at him.

"Adams, we're the only two people in this class, two of five in Senior year to have last names starting with 'H', what do you mean we're not next to each other?" Heath said.

"Yeah what gives?" Zane asked.

"Boys, boys, boys. Meet Miss Alissa Holt" He said, gesturing to me, their eyes landing on me.

Fuck.

"Take a seat" Mr. Adams commanded and we all found our respective seats, me sitting between these two boys.

"Thanks a lot" Zane muttered.

"Yeah, I obviously have the last name 'Holt' for this exact reason. Don't be stupid, I couldn't plan this even if I tried. I don't even know who you are." I said, met with gasps from all around the class.