12. Survival Of The Fittest

I managed to last all the way to gym. I had avoided lunch to stay in the nurses office and ice my arm as much as possible, to see if I could do anything on it.

No luck.

I sighed as the bell went, considering ditching Gym. But I knew I couldn't do that because I have perfect attendance and I didn't want Zane to see I was weak.

So instead I braved it and went to gym, getting changed in the locker room and taking a deep breath as I walked out to the field where Mr Fowler was.

"I'm surprised you turned up" Zane muttered, obviously hearing from Gabbie that my arm was in a shit load of pain.

"I'm surprised you still think I'm weak" I shot back, not giving him a single glance.

Mr Fowler blew the whistle, gaining the attention of everyone.

"Today we will be doing survival of the fittest. Every round two people will be eliminated except for the first where ten people will be gone. There are twenty of you here so there should be only six events. Stay on top and you'll be our champion" He said and I sighed.

I was going to be out quickly.

"The order will be; one-run five laps, two-twenty sit ups, three-high jump, four-shot put, five-another five lap run and finally thirty push ups" Mr Fowler said.

Push ups? If I ever made it that far, I'd die. Maybe I get out on purpose? No I had to beat Zane at least. Everything else was relatively easy, only requiring my right arm if needed. But the push ups were going to be the death of me.

"Alright, everyone to the starting line" Mr Fowler said, the twenty of us lining up. Only one other girl was present today. So we probably had the biggest disadvantage.

"Break a leg Holt" Zane said, hitting my left hand on purpose, watching me wince in pain.

"Or an arm" He said with a smirk.

Mr Fowler blew the whistle and I ran. I mean, I knew it was going to be okay because I had stamina. Todd and I, like on Tuesday, fronted the whole group for the entire time, him coming in first and me coming in a close second.

Zane came tenth, meaning he was through to the next round, the ten behind him being out.

"Lucky bastard" I muttered to myself as we all had a minute break.

"Alright sit ups. Each of the ten that are out partner up with ten that are in. No bias, no cheating. If your person does do all twenty and you say they don't or if they don't and you say they do, there will be trouble. Got it?" Fowler said and we nodded as we paired up.

The only other girl, who had come eleventh behind Zane, walked straight over to me.

"He pushed me back, girls need to come out on top" She said and I nodded in agreement as I got into position.

"On my whistle you will begin. Once you have done the twenty sit ups, you will stand." He said, blowing the whistle as we began. As soon as I finished, I jumped into the air, looking around. Only three other people had finished before me.

"Oh thank god!" I whispered, thankful for that being over.

Todd finished just after me and Zane, lucky fucking Zane, finished eighth. Meaning he was through to the high jump.

As we walked over, I gulped.

I'm only like 5'4 and the other seven that were through were 5'9 at least, most of them being 6' or over. And our next event was high jump.

"Oh I forgot to mention, whoever makes it to the final event will become our team captains for next weeks dodgeball tournament. Winner overall will get first pick" He said and everyone got excited. I mean, a dodgeball tournament sounded great but I just wanted to make it through this alive.