30. Everything's Okay

David and I had finished studying about twenty minutes ago and were now talking.

"No way, it's an act?" I asked as he nodded with a laugh.

"Completely an act! She's a freaking genius" He said.

We were talking about his 'ditsy cheerleader' girlfriend Liza Koshy, whom David had just informed me was actually a passionate actress, Rutherford High being her ultimate test as she only started halfway through Junior year. On top of that, she was actually very smart and a straight-A student which she kept hidden from everyone.

"Holy crap! I'd love to have a smart conversation with her." I said and he shrugged.

"You'd actually really like her" He said.

"Wait, if she's a straight A student, why the hell isn't she tutoring you?" I asked as David shrugged.

"She didn't want to hang out with me and study. She wants to hang out with me and have fun." He said as I pondered a thought.

"Do you think she'd be keen to tutor Heath?" I asked and David spluttered as he attempted to suppress a laugh.

"Uh no offence but Liza hasn't liked Heath since the moment she met him" He said and I shrugged.

"I didn't either and now I'm dating him" I pointed out and he laughed, nervously this time.

"She won't do it" He said.

"You know that he's changed David. You've all seen it. Now why is it all well and good for me to tutor her boyfriend but not for her to tutor mine?" I asked as he cleared his throat.

"H-Heath doesn't know she's smart. No one but Scotty and I do. And now you" He said as I sighed.

"He won't tell anyone. I know he won't. Hell, he probably won't even care all that much. But you and I, and every other person who knows Heath, know that he's just going to try slack off while I tutor him. And if I know myself, I'll give into him. But he has to graduate" I said and David sighed this time, looking at me.

"I'll talk to her about it okay?" He promised and I nodded.

"Thanks" I said as he stood, collecting his books and his bag.

"No problem, same time next week?" He asked.

"You want to be tutored on Tuesdays?" I asked and he shrugged.

"Liza has plans on Tuesday afternoons." He said and I shrugged back.

"Same time next week" I confirmed as he bounded down the stairs and out the door. I went and sat myself in my room, closing my door so I could have a few minutes to myself, knowing my mom would be up soon.

I waited and sure enough, less than two minutes later, there was a knock on my door.

"Come in" I said, my mother walking in.

"Who was that boy that just walked out?" She asked.

"One of the guys I'm tutoring" I said, honestly too.

"I didn't think you'd be tutoring boys" She said, somewhat shocked. My window was open so Scotty could potentially be listening in and probably laughing.

I was laughing myself.

"They're the ones that need it" I said and she shook her head.

"I don't want you bringing strange boys home Alissa" She said and I shrugged.

"Well then I'll invite them to dinner. Then we'll all be friends" I suggested sarcastically.

"I'd at least just like to meet them" She said and I nodded.