54. Helton?

HEATH:

"Uh, Alissa's not here" I said and he nodded.

"She called me and told me everything. I told her I'd see how you were holding up" He said and I nodded, clearly confused.

"Look, I know we've never been friends but my best friend is Alissa Holt and you're girlfriend is Alissa Holt. Therefore, we both care about her a lot. I want to make sure you're okay after this" He said and I sighed.

"It took everything within me to not beat the shit out of him when I saw him" I said and he nodded.

"Did you all see him?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, she fucked him up pretty good" I said and he laughed a little.

"I wouldn't put it past her, not given the way he treated her. I knew something would happen, especially if that's the way they've been speaking to each other for a month" He said.

"Scotty's pissed at him" I said and he cocked his head.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because he thought Allie would have egged it on but Todd admitted he started the fight, both verbally and physically. So Scotty told him to fuck off, quite rightly" I said and he nodded.

"I underestimated your guys' devotion to her. With the exception of Todd" He said and I smiled, laughing a little nervously.

"Yeah, it's my devotion to her that stopped me killing him" I said.

"So you never touched him?" He asked and I shook my head.

"No, I knew Allie wouldn't want me to. Scotty made the point that had Allie been up there just now she would have still defended him when Scotty told him to leave." I said and he laughed.

"That girl is trouble but loyal" He said, me laughing in both agreement and realisation at the truth.

"I uh, I best be going" He said, turning away and I sighed, thinking of my girlfriend yet again.

"Wait!" I said and he turned back to me.

"Do you uh, want to come hang out at my place? I hate to admit it but I kinda want to know you better. Seeing as you're important to Allie" I said, scratching the back of my neck nervously.

He opened his mouth to reject me but then closed it and nodded, smiling. I returned the smile and we both climbed into my truck.

"I don't know what's going to happen when I get home. I have to tell my mom and she may get pissed. Hell she probably would get pissed" I said and Elton shrugged as we continued the drive to my house.

As soon as I walked in the door, I called out to my mom.

"Kitchen" She called back, Elton following me as I walked towards the kitchen.

"Momma, this is Al's friend Elton" I said and she turned to face us, her eyes lighting up. Al had told her all about the friendship and falling out of her and Elton so she knew what this meant.

"Oh, it's nice to meet you! I'm Cori, Heath's mom." She said shaking his hand. I saw Elton smile harder than I had ever seen him smile, it made me happy. Which is weird because a week ago he hated me for dating Al.

"Mom, I've got something serious to talk to you about and I want you to listen to me completely before you blow anything out of proportion" I said and she nodded, looking concerned.

"Allie and Todd got in a fist fight in gym today. Al was pissed and fucked off somewhere, without her shit. Zane had to grab it from gym because she just left. It was Todd's fault. He pissed her off at lunch, threw the first insult and threw the first punch. She kicked his ass, broke his nose and still got them both out of detention or anything serious" I said. Mom looked like she was about to explode but then she just released a deep breath, shaking her head.