14. Broken and Unbroken

The ride across town was silent for a while, Heath eventually looking at me.

"I'm sorry if any of us ever hurt you by the way" He said as we were stuck at a stoplight in rush hour traffic.

"Huh? Oh it's fine" I said.

"It's not, I saw the look on your face when Todd ruined your work. And when Zane hurt your arm. I wish I could be sorry for all of us but I guess I can't" He said.

"That's closer than what I was expecting to an apology, it's fine Heath" I said.

"What about your arm? Between Zane and Gabbie, I think they may have broken it" He said, a shooting pain reminding me that it was still in pain.

I guess I was so caught up in what was happening that I didn't even notice it still hurting.

"It's fine Heath, I've had worse" I lied. I'd never broken a bone before. I'd hardly ever injured myself to be honest.

"Look, I don't want to say I don't trust my friends but I don't really. I'm afraid that Scotty will go back on his own words, he's done it before. Same with Zane and David. Todd's different, once you have his trust you've pretty much got him on your side" Heath said and I laughed slightly.

"You think Todd's on my side?" I asked and he shrugged.

"You've done something to change his opinion, though he won't admit it. I know Todd, I have known him forever, something in him has changed towards you" He said and I relaxed a little.

"But I wouldn't completely trust the others" He warned and I shrugged.

"Who says I completely trust you?" I asked and he snickered a little.

"Fair call Holt, but give me you number just in case" He said, handing over his unlocked phone. I looked at him oddly before shrugging and typing my cellphone number into the required box before handing it back.

"You can trust me, if I have my way you'll never get hurt again" He said as I climbed out of the truck.

"Uh, thanks Heath. I'll uh see you tomorrow" I said, heading towards my house. I wasn't even at my front door before my phone vibrated, indicating there was a new text

'I got your back Allie'

I laughed to myself as I opened the front door of my house, closing it behind me.

"Who was that?" Matt's voice came from behind me. Like inches behind me.

I leaped out of my skin.

"Matthew!" I scolded as he laughed.

"I wish you could have seen your face!" He spluttered.

"You're gonna wish you didn't see my fist!" I warned and he held his hands up in defeat.

"Seriously though, didn't you tell me one of those douchebags drives a red truck?" He asked and I shrugged.

"They talked to me after school about something and he offered to drop me home." I said as though it was nothing.

"So they're not douches anymore?" He asked.

"No they're still douches. One of them almost broke my arm" I said, too coolly.

"You said you busted it in gym" Matt said, seriously too.

"Y-yeah I did. He pushed me over" I lied and Matt shook his head.

"You know I don't believe you. Why don't you tell me what really happened Alissa?" He said and I gulped. Matt never calls me Alissa, he hasn't since the day I was born.