36. This Is Life, I Guess

I woke up in the morning, an entangled mess of mine and Heath's legs greeting me as well as him still fast asleep and snoring softly.

I grinned to myself and quickly checked the time, realising it was about time to get up. If we wanted to get to school on time that is.

"Heath" I said, poking his side.

"Uhhh" He groaned, hiding his head under his pillow.

"C'mon, we've gotta get up for school" I said, poking him a little more.

"I said uhhh. Leave me alone" He mumbled. I sighed and jumped on him, flipping him onto his back and beginning to tickle him.

"Heath Hussar, get out of bed!" I exclaimed as he squirmed and wriggled beneath me, begging me to stop.

"Alissa Holt, I swear to God" He grumbled, shoving me off him as I laughed.

Cori appeared in the doorway with a smile on her face, shaking her head.

"Glad you two are awake, come get some breakfast once you're ready" She said, walking out.

"I don't think I've seen my mom smile at me for so long. She's usually disappointed at me, coming home with the cops or something." He said and I rolled my eyes.

"It's just because I'm around, I'm an angel" I joked and he groaned, flopping back on the bed, pulling me with him.

"Whatever, give me your keys." He said as I glanced at him with a sideways confused head-cock. He sighed and rolled his eyes.

"I'll get you your damn clean clothes" He said, in an attempt to be sweet but also annoyed at my stubbornness.

"I can get them" I said and he shrugged, finding my keys and leaving anyway. I couldn't stop the stupid grin from taking over my face as Cori walked into the room.

"Where is that boy going? She asked and I shook myself out of it.

"To get my clean clothes out of my trunk" I explained and she smiled a soft smile.

"Thank you for being his" She whispered and I shrugged.

"Thank you for not giving up on him" I said and she winked at me.

"I could thank you for the same. I heard about everything you've done for him, including helping him in Algebra and defending him. That Mrs Lake is a witch of a woman, and that's coming from me" She said and I smiled in return.

"He's an amazing kid Allie, and I'm glad you see something in him no one else did" She said, leaving before Heath walked back in.

"What did she want?" He asked, throwing some clothes at me.

"Thanks. Just to talk to me" I said and he shrugged.

"Do you want a shower?" He asked and I shook my head.

"I can't be fucked showering" I said honestly.

"Are you sure? You kinda look like hell" He said, biting back a laugh.

"Jeez thanks, means a lot" I said sarcastically.

"Oh relax baby, I'm just playing. But you do still have dried blood on your face. Not to mention the black eye" He said and I shrugged.

"A shower won't wash away the bruise" I said in a smart ass tone, earning an eye roll and a small shove from him.

"Whatever, get dressed. Momma made breakfast" He said and with that, he left. I got up and looked at myself for the first time since yesterday when it all went down.