48. We've Gotta Help

By the time Monday came, I had completely forgotten about the Scotty incident. He wasn't at school on Friday so I didn't think much of it but come Monday, when I finally saw him again, all the memories of Thursday afternoon came flooding back. And just like all last week, he looked plain depressed. Although if I had learnt anything from Thursday afternoon, it's that asking him is not a great idea. Well at least not in public.

"Don't look too deep in thought, you'll walk into a wall" Heath said, guiding me past a door and bringing me back to my senses all in one.

"Huh? Oh, sorry" I said, smiling a little sheepishly.

"What's got you so distracted?" He asked as we walked through the halls, hand in hand. Something that is now somehow normal, which wouldn't have been a few short weeks ago.

"I just didn't sleep that great. Between watching movies with you until 2 am and waking up early to study, sleep kind of eluded me" I said and he shrugged.

"Sorry, I sleep better when you're next to me" He said and I felt my cheeks heat slightly as I smiled.

"That's sweet" I said and he shrugged again.

"I'm not an asshole all the time" He said.

"Are you sure?" I joked and he rolled his eyes, pushing me into an open door that happened to be our homeroom class. Zane looked at us and shook his head.

"What Hijazi? Got a problem with me not being single?" Heath joked and Zane laughed.

"No, but I've got a problem with you being happy" He joked back and Heath laughed.

"Hey, this is the first time in seventeen years. Let me have it" Heath said and Zane grinned.

"Yeah, whatever Hussar. Lap it up" He said, me smiling in between the two of them.

"What are you grinning at?" Heath asked, looking at me. I shrugged.

"I didn't even know you two liked each other until recently" I joked, Zane and Heath laughing.

"We've been through a lot of shit together" Heath said.

"Yeah, Heath was the reason for my first arrest. And my second." Zane said as they cracked up laughing again.

"God, and you think Heath being in a relationship is weird? Heath having friends is way weirder" I said, causing Zane to laugh and Heath's expression to drop.

"You best be joking" He said, in a joking serious tone. I shrugged with a smirk, making him roll his eyes and shove me playfully.

If life before was normal then I'd died and gone to heaven.

And it only seemed to get better, I noticed, when I got to Chemistry that morning. Because David was grinning as I sat down.

"And what's with the smile David?" I asked, unsure of whether I even wanted to know the answer.

"Oh, nothing too interesting. I'm just your favourite person right now" He said.

"Explain" I encouraged, clearly a little confused at his statement. He laughed before speaking.

"I am the master of persuasion, as you already know" He began and I looked to him.

"If you did something even remotely illegal, you are wrong in claiming to be my favourite person right now" I said and he rolled his eyes.

"Relax would ya Holt? I was just going to tell you that a certain someone has agreed to tutor Heath once a week. Her Tuesday plans fell through so seeing as I'm already studying and busy, and so are you, her and Heath might as well meet up and work together on Tuesdays" He whispered and my eyes went wide as I smiled.