24. I'm Only Human

**************Trigger Warning**************

  ************** Abuse Talk**************

My phone rang at what would have been lunch. Heath had showed me how to get into the place so I was currently sitting on the couch, drawing an angry inspired drawing.

"What?" I answered, the phone call being from Scotty.

"Where the hell are you?" He asked.

"At the place. I need to speak to you after school so come here alone." I demanded.

"That's funny we need to speak to you too" He said.

"I don't care what you all want to do, I want to talk to you alone and that's it. I'll leave if they all come here" I said, hanging up. Someone had taken over my mind, that's for sure. I should be scared of these guys, well at least of Scott. I mean, he's the definition of bi-polar. But here I was, sassing him out and all.

I went back to my art and continued the harsh lines and black pen for most of the afternoon until I finally heard the door open.

I didn't bother checking the time so I naturally assumed it was Scott

"I'm surprised you made it" I muttered sarcastically, not looking up. He didn't answer me so i scoffed, looking up to chew him out for being rude.

I looked up and into the eyes of Zane, black eyed and bloody nosed.

"What the hell happened to you?" I asked, throwing my things and walking over to him. My eye caught the clock on the wall. Scott would be here literally any minute.

I honestly expected Zane to tell me to go to hell but he allowed me to get right up to him. I pulled my shirt off and cautiously began to mop the blood on his face. He winced and moved away slightly.

"Sorry, I'll try not to hurt you." I whispered.

The look on his face was one I had never witnessed before. He looked sad, as though he was about to cry or had already been.

"Zane? What happened?" I asked as I wiped away more of the blood. I was going to need something bigger than the t shirt I was wearing. Thankfully I was wearing a sports bra, crop top thing underneath so I wasn't completely in just my bra.

"I've never asked you for anything Alissa, but I'm asking you now to please not ask." He said and I nodded, continuing to clean his face up.

"Come into the bathroom, I need good light" I said and he followed me towards the small bathroom. I rinsed my shirt off in the bath and began to clean him up a little more effectively now that the material was wet.

"Did you run here from your place?" I asked, curious seeing as his and Heath's houses were on the other side of town to the place.

"It's not that far" He shrugged.

"It's not that close" I pointed out.

"How would you know?" He questioned.

"Heath told me you lived near hi-" I began, my eyes growing wide at what I was about to say. Well, had said really. Now he knew I had been to Heath's house before.

I was waiting for him to offer a blackmail ultimatum but he simply sighed and looked at me.

"So it's true, you're together?" He asked and I sighed, nodding. I felt Zane was in a vulnerable enough situation as it was and lying to him would be just awful right now.