40. Did You Mean That?

Heath walked back in and saw me, looking confused. Thankfully I hadn't touched his phone so he had no idea I knew anything.

"Are you re- What the heck are you doing?" He asked, laughing at the look on my face.

"Uh, just getting everything ready. But I can't find my Algebra book. I think I might have left it at school" I muttered, a lie as I knew it was in my car.

"Did you leave it in the truck?" He asked, sitting on the bed and kissing me on the cheek.

"Hmm, maybe. I'll go check" I said, heading towards the door.

I took my time, trying to calm my brain down and stop it from thinking of the worst case scenario. I took a deep breath as I walked back into the house, hearing Heath on the phone.

"Look, I'd be all for it. But the cops are onto this Todd, I'm not risking my police record and my fucking relationship for something that will be solved in like two days. Yeah, I know she needs her shit but she needs me not being arrested more. Fuck! I'm not fucking going!" He said, getting louder and hanging up.

"Heath what's going on?" I asked and his head snapped up to see me.

"The guys are trying to get your stuff from your house. They were going to get it all from your window to Scott's and then bring it here. But I want nothing to do with it, the last thing we need is this" He said.

"They're trying to steal it?" I asked, not believing it. Heath sighed with a nod.

"I'm not going! I promise, this isn't something I need. Mom will get pissed and ground me for life, I'm already on the brink of being arrested and sent to juvie. I'm trying to talk them out of it" He mentioned, desperately trying to justify and defend himself.

"I think they should do it" I said and Heath looked at me, as though I was nuts. Well, I probably was. Given the way my life has been going recently.

"I'm sorry what?" He asked.

"Heath, I'm not going back there and I'd rather not face them again. Let's get your mom and the cops in on this. My parents are not going to give it up easy. We should just do it" I said.

"And you think the cops would be cool with a warranted breaking and entering? Better yet, you think my mother would be okay with this? You'r fucking crazy Al, fucking crazy" He said, laughing.

"Well, there's only one way to find out." I said, pulling out my phone and dialing Todd's number.

"What?" He answered, the same way he had earlier.

"Give us fifteen minutes, I've got a plan." I said, before hanging up.

"You're actually serious about this?" Heath asked.

"It's Wednesday. Dad's working late and mom's at her housewife club's social night. They're both out until at least seven." I said with a shrug. Heath sighed.

"If you can convince my mom, you can convince anyone." He said with a shrug. I nodded, walking out to the kitchen.

"Hey Allie, everything okay?" She asked.

"I'm about to suggest something far-fetched and crazy" I said and she stopped what she was doing.

"What has my son put you up to?"She asked.

"No, I promise Heath has nothing to do with this. He refused." I said and she nodded, looking at me to continue.

"Todd and Scott formed a plan to get all my things from my room and get it to Scott's before bringing it here. They wanted Heath, but he's not going to. He's got too much to lose. But I think we should do it." I said.