92. The Truth Can Hurt

HEATH:

What the fuck did I just witness?

I don't know what shocked me more, the fact that Elton was gay or the fact that Zane didn't beat the shit out of him like I, and anyone else, would have expected him to do.

Actually, the thing that shocked me the most was that Alissa didn't know. Her and Elton were best friends and it made no sense that he would keep something like this from her.

I sighed and started my truck, beginning to drive back to my place where Al was either fast asleep in my bed or on the bathroom floor.

Despite trying to ignore it and only think o Al, I couldn't shake the image from my head of Zane and Elton kissing.

And Zane lying to me.

And Elton wanting him to lie.

So much for this semester is gonna be easier and drama free.

I pulled into the drive at my place and walked through the door.

"How's Allie?" I asked my mom, who had promised to check on her.

"Asleep, her room. I don't want her spreading anything" My mom said and I rolled my eyes.

"Reax mom, it's just her time of the month" I said and my mom shook her head.

"I'm not risking it, leave her" She saaid, firmly.

"Yeah alright, whatever" I said, going to the fridge and grabbing an apple.

"What's with the attitude Mister? I don't appreciate it" She said and I shrugged.

"Nothing" I muttered, walking off towards my room.

"Heath, back here. Now" Mom said and I sighed, walking back into the kitchen.

"What?" I asked, clearly ticked off.

"I'd watch the tone if I were you. Now tell me what's going on" She demanded.

"I can't say" I said, trying to honour my promise to Zane and Elton.

"Heath I swear to God if you've done something illegal" My mom warned and I shook my head.

"No it's nothing like that! It's just something I promised Zane I wouldn't tell, to anyone" I said.

"Is Zane in trouble?" She asked carefully. I shook my head.

"No ones in trouble mom, I promise" I said. At least I hoped Zane wasn't in trouble. This wasn't exactly the best situation for him to be in. He already goes through enough shit at home, imagine if word got back to his dad about another boy kissing him? Yeesh, I feel sorry for him just thinking about that.

My mom didn't look like she was buying what I was selling her but I knew it was the truth and for both my best friend's and Al's best friend's sake, I was going to keep it that vague.

"Can I go to my room now?" I asked and my mom nodded warily.

"I swear Heath, if you're lying to me then thats it." She said and I nodded.

"Got it, I'll see you at dinner" I said, walking down to my room. I quickly poked my head in and checked on Al, her glasses still on her face and her still being in her clothes. I smiled and walked in, removing the glasses from her face. She woke up briefly.

"Oh it's you" She mumbled and I nodded.

"Just me baby, you're tired huh?" I guessed and she nodded, closing her eyes again.

"Did you get my book?" She mumbled and I laughed.

"Yes but you're going to rest and not study, 'kay?" I said and she nodded.

"Yes sir, I'll sleep" She said and smiled as she began to fall asleep again.

"Zane lied to me about hanging out, he was with Elton" I said, furrowing my eyebrows.

I knew I had promised Zane but I had to tell her. Not to gossip but just to verbalise what had happened. Otherwise it would be stewing in me until I exploded or something.

"Really? Shitty" She muttered and I nodded, stroking her hair a little.

"Yeah, no shit" I said with a laugh.

"It got weirder though Al, when I walked in him and Elton were kissing" I said and she shrugged.

"So? I knew they liked each other" She mumbled. I looked at her.

"What do you mean? Zane's not gay" I said and she sat up, her eyes wide in alarm which only made me realise that I was wrong.

"Heath I was never meant to tell you, oh my god please don't tell either of them!" She said, panicked and beginning to cry.

"Baby, relax. I'm not going to bring it up. I just wish that Zane had told me" I said, a little upset that my best friend was gay and hadn't even told me.

"Heath he's terrified of people knowing, absolutely shit scared. He wanted to tell you but he didn't have the words." She said.

"How long have you known?" I asked quietly and she sighed.

"A while. Since you and I started dating. He told me after I mopped up his broken nose and Scott asked me into the group." She admitted. I sighed and grabbed her hand.

"You know, had you found this out earlier you would have walked out the door, drove all the way across town to Elton's and punched him for not telling you" She said and I smiled.

"I guess you've got more power over me than anyone wants to admit" I said and she smiled, kissing my hand.

"I'm going to go back to sleep. And you're going to go talk to Zane. I can see it in your eyes. Please, be gentle" She asked and I nodded.

"Always baby. I'll see you later" I said, kissing her cheek and leaving the room.

I grabbed my keys and walked towards the door.

"Heath, tell me one more time I have nothing to worry about" My mom's voice came and I turned and walked over to her.

"There is nothing going on that should make you worry. I'm fine, the guys are fine. No one is in trouble and nothing is going to arise from this" I said and she sighed.

"Okay son, I believe you. Text if you're not going to be home in time for dinner" She said and I nodded.

"I have no idea how long this is gonna take but I'll be in contact, see ya mom. Love you" I said and she smiled.

"Love you too baby" She said as I walked out the door.

I got in my truck and sighed as I drove across town to Elton's where I knew Zane would still be. Sure enough, his Jeep was parked up in the drive still and I found myself walking up to Elton's door for the second time today. This time, however, I decided to knock seeing as bursting in got me more than I bargained for last time.

Elton opened the door, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"Uh, Heath?" He asked, loud enough for Zane to hear as he was at the door.

"What do you want Hussar?" Zane asked and I help my hands up.

"To talk. I just want to talk." I said and Zane sighed.

"About?" He asked.

"About why you never told me you were gay" I said accusingly, not meaning to. Zane's face flushed and I cursed under my breath.

"I'm sorry, I was trying to be less Heath about this all. Can we please talk?" I asked and Zane sighed.

"Fine" He said, allowing me to walk inside.

Short chapter and late but I'm beginning to set up the end finally.