105. Passing Up Opportunities

HEATH:

The whole time I waited until nine was gut-wrenching.

I argued with myself on and off again. Ultimately I knew I wasn't going to walk away. I wasn't putting anyone else at risk while being here and I was okay with that.

Of course I'd rather not be in this position at all. Al would have been awake when I left home. She would know I'm not there and I hadn't told her anything. I just hoped she was smart about it if my mom asked her anything.

I checked my phone again. 9:02 and no texts or calls from anyone, Alissa included. Harrison's guy would be here any second now so I put my phone away.

What happened next was expected. He showed, refused to pay and I hit him until he did. I'm glad he paid because Harrison's conditions were money or near death. Money made my conscience feel a little lighter, given the situation.

And then I was back in my truck, driving home. The fucking guy had managed to hit me once in the face so I knew my eye was going to puff up a little. Other than that it was just my knuckles that were bruised.

"God, I don't remember it hurting this fucking much" I hissed to myself as I examined the wounds in my truck when I was parked in my own driveway.

I guess it had been so long since I had done stuff like this, my hands weren't used to it.

I was so distracted by my own hands that I almost didn't notice Allie's car missing.

Keyword being almost.

"Where the fuck is she?" I whispered, frantically pulling out my phone and beginning to call. It rang and rang until finally, I heard her answering machine message.

"Hey baby, it's Heath. I just wanted to check you're okay and to tell you I love you. Please call me back" I said, hanging up afterwards.

As I walked through the door, the hall light turned on in my otherwise dark house and I jumped.

"Fuck!" I muttered, quickly shoving my hands in my pockets.

"Heath?" My mom's voice came.

"Yeah, I'm home" I said and she sighed in relief.

"How's your project going?" She asked.

Project? What fucking project?

Oh! My lie!

"It's going good, I've got a good feeling about it. Everyone else asleep?" I asked. I didn't want to ask about Al in case she left without telling my mom.

"Dad is, I was waiting for you to come. Alissa is at Scott's, working on this project too. It must be huge, they're staying up really late to work on it so she's staying there" She said and I felt my heart swell and break all at once.

She had kept my lie going for me, knowing that I wasn't working on some damn English project. She knew I was doing something stupid and now she's staying with Scott for the night.

"Right, well I'm going to go to bed seeing as I still have school in the morning" I said, careful not to sound too suspicious at this knowledge of what Al was doing.

"Goodnight Son, see you in the morning" Mom said and I nodded with a smile.

"Night mom, love you" I said, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"Love you too baby" She said as I walked to my room. The second my door was closed, I collapsed on my bed and held my head in my hands.

This is it, I've ruined everything and I know I have.

SCOTT:

"He fucked up Holt, and you deserve more than that-" I said before I felt Alissa's lips on my own.

This is everything I've ever wanted since I met her. I told her I liked her, I fell for her harder and harder each day. She was absolutely perfect and she was kissing me right at this moment.

So why did I pull away?

Because she wasn't mine and we both knew that. She looked at me, confused.

"I thought you liked me?" She asked and I sighed.

"Look Holt, I want you. Believe me, I do. But I'm not going to be the guy you cheat on your boyfriend with." I said and she sighed

"I'm sorry, I'm just stressed" She said.

"I get it, he did a stupid thing tonight" I said.

"Do you think he's home by now?" She asked and I shrugged.

"Has he tried to call you?" I asked and she sighed, shrugging as well.

"I left my phone on silent in my car. I didn't want to deal with him even if he has tried to call. Cori will tell him where I am and hopefully he's not dumb enough to come here" She said.

"If he knows you're gone then he'll know you know something's up. He's dumb but not dumb enough to come here." I said and she nodded.

"I guess you're right" She said.

"Haven't you learnt yet Holt? I'm always right" I said with a smirk as she rolled her eyes and shoved me.

"Go to sleep" She said and I shrugged.

"I was trying to but then you kissed me" I said and she laughed, shaking her head.

"You're an asshole Scott" She said and I shrugged again.

"I'm working on that" I said honestly.

"I've noticed." She said with a yawn.

"Can we go to sleep without you making a move on me now?" I joked as she flipped me off.

"Yes, we can. I'll see you in the morning" She said, rolling over. I turned off the light and she didn't move again. Soon enough her soft snores began and I sighed quietly to myself as she slept right next to me.

I had just been given the only thing I've wanted for the last six months and I pushed it all away because I love her so much.

Before I had a chance to close my eyes and go to sleep, my phone lit up with Heath's name on my screen.

Hopefully I can keep this conversation quiet.

"Heath" I answered.

"What the hell? Is she really staying at your house?" He asked and I sighed quietly.

"Yes, she is. Because you're an asshole and she doesn't deserve to be treated this way" I said.

"What are you talking about Sire?" Heath said.

"We both know what I'm talking about. You think one of my boys could go to the other side of town and hit for someone else without me finding out? You didn't even tell Alissa and she still lied her ass off for you" I seethed. Alissa still seemed to be asleep so that was a good sign at the moment.

"How did you find out?" Heath asked.

"She came to my house and demanded I find out what you were up to. We got David to track your phone and saw you on the other side of town" I explained.

"But how did you know I was hitting for someone else?" He asked, confused.

"Not someone else, for Harrison. We came there and heard your alleyway conversation Heath." I said.

"We?" He asked.

"If I didn't take her, she would have gone by herself." I explained and he sighed, exasperatedly.

"Fucking hell, she is never going to speak to me again" He said in a frustrated tone.

"And she'd be right not to. You betrayed her tonight Heath and you sure as fuck don't deserve someone like her. You deserve nothing" I said, hanging up the phone with a snarl.

I may not have kissed her back tonight but one day soon I will because she will be mine.

A short yet Solty chapter for you all