42. Brothers in Arms

HEATH:

"Hey" I said, walking into Shane's room, on the other side of the house to mine.

"Hey" He replied, the small talk becoming awkward as soon as we began.

"Heath, I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I didn't want to do this so I tried to put it off as much as possible. And that was dumb" He said and I laughed a little.

"Yeah no shit. I'm sorry too, for acting like a prick just before. I'm proud of you, I mean the Hussar's aren't really a college kinda family. Just look at dad and his brothers, all our older cousins. You're probably the first" I said and he smiled a little at the truth.

"Can you do me a favour while I'm gone?" He asked and I nodded.

"Sure, what's on your mind?" I asked and he laughed.

"Well, two favours. One, be the second Hussar to get into college. I know you can do it, and with Allie you can do it well. Don't wait three years to sit the SAT's like I did. Do it right. And two, be good to her. You're shooting way above your game with her and you can't afford to lose someone like her." He said and I nodded.

"Don't just nod like that. Alissa Holt is the best thing that has ever happened to you. Even if you two fall out and shit, she'll still be the best thing to ever happen to you because she was the first person to get you to pull your head out of your ass" He said and I stood taken aback at the words of my older brother.

"Sorry to be so forward but this you is you Heath, the way you're acting is the way mom and dad want to see you. You think they like the fact that our family is a bunch of failures? You think they don't worry about how you and I are gonna turn out? Because they do, a lot. Allie's the bet thing for you Heath, trust me" He said and I nodded again.

"I know, I just don't want to fuck it up. But I know I'm bound to." I admitted and he smiled.

"Just tell her how much you appreciate her. I know you would, but in case you forget." He said and I nodded, smiling small at the thought of Alissa Holt.

"I love her so damn much and we've been together for a week" I said, laughing at how dumb it sounded.

"I know you do, I can see it. We all can. It's not stupid, it's real. And we see that Heath" He said and I let my smile take over my face.

"Treat her right or I'll drive back from California just to kick your ass." Shane said and I spluttered out a laugh.

"You would" I joked, earning a grin from him.

"I'm gonna miss you Heath" He said and I rolled my eyes with a groan.

"Don't do this soppy shit with me." I protested and he shook his head with a smile.

"Heath, we can't put it off forever. We're going to have to say goodbye at some point" Shane pointed out and I shrugged.

"I can try put it off" I joked and he looked at me, rolling his eyes.

"You would" He joked, like I had earlier.

"You're an idiot if you think I'm not gonna miss you" I said and he laughed.

"I know you're going to miss me Heath. It's just nice to hear it" He said with a shrug.

"Of course I'm going to fucking miss you Shane! You've been my best friend for seventeen years and now you're leaving. I don't fucking want to deal with that because I don't know how I'm supposed to live without you." I said, cracking and showing the damn emotion I knew he was pining after. Shane sighed and looked to me.