31. The Man Behind The Monster

The stress of the last week or however long it had been had definitely gotten to us because before long, Heath's mom was in his room and shaking the two of us awake, us not realising we had fallen asleep.

Naturally we both sat up, sheepishly and embarrassed that we had been caught.

"Relax you two, I trust that you weren't doing anything" Cori said with a wink. I knew I blushed and next to me Heath groaned.

"None of that rumbling Heath Hussar! Get your lazy ass out of bed and come eat some food! And be polite to your guest" She said and I laughed a little.

"Shut up Holt" Heath grunted and I smiled, leaning over and kissing him on the cheek.

"Make me, Hussar" I said, climbing off the bed and checking my hair in the mirror.

Heath also stood, walked over to me and stood between me and the mirror.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

"Don't change a thing about how you look right now" He said.

"Heath, my hair's a mess" I said and he shrugged, sweeping some out of my eyes and kissing my forehead.

"It's perfect" He said, slipping his hand into mine and leading me out of his room and into the dining room.

I couldn't help but imagine the scenario if my mother had been the one to catch us napping. It would have ended with Heath getting the cops called on him, me getting grounded or even kicked out and my mother potentially having a premature heart attack.

I smiled to myself as we sat down, Heath sitting next to me and holding my hand under the table still.

"Don;t be shy Alissa, dig in" Cori said. I looked at the meal in front of me and smiled, happily obliging seeing as I was starving and this looked amazing.

Once we were done, the meal filled with talking and laughter, Heath's dad looked at me and laughed.

"Looks like we've got someone giving Heath a run for his money when it comes to eating" He said as Heath looked at me and realised we ate pretty much the same amount of food.

"Who the hell are you?" He asked and I shrugged.

"I like food? Well I like eating it" I said.

"Oh that's great because Heath loves making it. He helped me make most of this. Actually I helped him" His mom said and I looked at Heath, wide-eyed.

"You made that?" I asked and he shrugged.

"I prepped it. Mom cooked it. Team effort" He said, flashing his mom a smile.

"You're going to have to get him to cook for you sometime Alissa" His dad said with a nod and I smiled.

"Oh I will, don't you worry" I promised as Heath groaned.

"I'm not that great, she's over exaggerating." He said and I shrugged.

"I'll be the judge of that" I said and he shook his head.

"You're weird" He said.

"You're weirder" I retorted and his mom just laughed.

"Alright, Heath and Shane. These dishes are not going to wash themselves" She said, the two boys groaning.

"Mom, I have a guest" Heath said.

"That I want to talk to. Now you two get your behinds in that kitchen and clean!" She said, shooing them away.