20

It was the weekend again and Makoto was heading home after studying most of the day on campus.  Today was his two year anniversary with Sousuke.  He felt bad that he had to spend most of it studying, but he had a final coming up and he needed to do well on it.

Makoto could smell the sweet aroma of Sousuke's cooking as he was walking down the hall to their apartment door.  He loved that his boyfriend was such a good cook, Sousuke's food always made his mouth water.

As soon as he opened the door, a pair of strong arms pulled him into a close embrace.  Makoto smiled, eyes closing and giggling a little.  He hugged Sousuke back just as tightly.  "I'm sorry I'm late."

Sousuke pulled back just enough to peck Makoto's lips.  He pulled his boyfriend inside, shutting the door behind him.  He smiled, bringing a hand up to rest on Makoto's soft cheek, "Don't worry about that.  I have a big surprise."

Makoto opened his eyes wide, "Surprise?  What is it?"

Sousuke just smiled, taking Makoto by the hand and pulling him into the living room.  There were so many new additions, a cat bed, cat tower and scratching post, and best of all the brown ball of fluff curled up on their couch.  Makoto's eyes widened, a faint red appearing on his cheeks.  "Sousuke..."

Sousuke smiled, pulling Makoto over to the kitten on the couch who seemed to be happily sleeping.  "I believe you've already met our little family addition."

Makoto looked at her, stroking her back gently.  The little kitten let out a loud purr, nuzzling up to Makoto's hand and opening her teal eyes a little.  Makoto smiled even wider, "Aqua?"  He scooped the kitten into his arms, petting her gently, "Sousuke is this for real?"

He nodded, scratching Aqua's head gently, "I filled out all the adoption forms and everything."

Makoto leaned over, kissing Sousuke.  "This is so amazing!  How did you know that I wanted to adopt Aqua most?"

He rested his hand on Makoto's cheek again, moving to sit next to him and wrap his arm around Makoto's shoulders.  "I'd watched you work and I always saw how happy you were with her."

Makoto leaned into Sousuke's chest, gently kissing his cheek, "This is the best surprise ever."

"I love you, Makoto," Sousuke smiled back and rested his hand on Makoto's cheek, turning his face towards his and kissing him deeply.

[A/N: this is the calm before the storm because I swear there is a big storm of angst, depression, self-loathing, violence and more coming. Enjoy the happy feels while they last... 😅]