29

Kagami walked into the cat cafe after his classes, he was late.  He wasn't usually late, he just didn't actually feel like coming into work after seeing Aomine again the other day.  He forced himself to go though, it usually always made him happier to see the cats and Makoto was expecting him.  He didn't want to let his best friend down.

He went to the back room, going to sett his school bag in its usual place.  He stopped when he saw a little box sitting there in the cubby.  He took the box, putting his bag down in its place.  He got ready for his shift, putting an apron on and washing his hands.  Today, he and Makoto were working as baristas.  It made Kagami a little sad because they weren't directly with the cats, but he'd just go there after his shift.

He took the box with him as he went out to join Makoto behind the counter.  He was about to ask about it, but Makoto just handed him a cup for an order and went back to the next person in line.  Kagami clicked his tongue, getting the drink for the person.  They weren't always super busy, so it was just his luck that the one time he actually had something to ask Makoto about, there was a long line.

Once the line finally died down a little, Kagami looked at Makoto, "Hey Makoto, do you know what this is?"  He held up the box.

Makoto looked at him and he smiled guiltily when he saw the box in Kagami's hand.  "Um that's... Aomine asked me to give it to you, I wasn't sure if I should..."

Kagami instantly gripped the box tighter, swallowing, "He talked to you?"

Makoto looked away, scratching his cheek, "He came by as I was closing up last night...  I didn't let him in, but he insisted I give that to you and tell you that he'd like to see you, there was something he wanted to tell you."

Kagami looked down at the box in his hand.  A part of him wanted to know just what it was that Aomine wanted to give him and wanted to say.  But he didn't think he could face Aomine again.  He'd already cried in front of him after refreshing his memory about that night.  Then again, Aomine really seemed like he didn't remember.  Kagami had to wonder if Aomine wanted to apologize for what he did.  Though he wasn't sure what good that did, it didn't change anything.

He looked up, realizing Makoto was talking.  He blinked a few times trying to focus on Makoto's words.  "It's just he did seem sorry about what he did.  But I don't know if you should see him again, it might do more harm than good."

Kagami shook his head, "I don't know...  You're probably right but I want to know what he has to say."

"What was he so intent on giving you?"  Makoto pointed to the box in Kagami's hand.

Kagami shrugged, opening the lid of the box.  He gripped the box tightly, having to put his other hand out on the counter to keep himself from losing his balance.  He couldn't stop staring at the contents of the box.  Makoto went up to Kagami's side, resting his hand on Kagami's shoulder, "What's wrong?"

Kagami took the silver ring on a silver chain out of the box, it looked a bit tarnished since last he'd seen it, but he knew it was the same one.  "Back in middle school, Aomine gave this to me... it was a symbol of our friendship."

"Why does he have it then?"  Makoto's brows creased.

Kagami kept looking at the ring, his eyes starting to water, "First year of high school, we fought and I threw it back at him, said I didn't want to be friends...  Of course two weeks later we were friends again but I didn't ask about the ring and after a while... I just forgot about it."  Kagami wiped his eyes, he didn't want to be like this, especially at work, "He kept it all this time..."