23

Makoto was just walking into the door of his apartment after a long shift at the cafe, Kagami gave away his shifts for the last couple days and it just wasn't the same with his friend not there.  Of course he understood why, Kagami hadn't really left Makoto's and Sousuke's couch, let  alone the apartment, for the last couple days.  Makoto was surprised to smell food when he walked in, Sousuke had told him that he'd be out studying, was he back already and making food?

Makoto walked into the kitchen to see Kagami standing over the stove.  He went up to his friend, "Kagami."  He rested a hand on Kagami's shoulder.

Kagami glanced down at him, "Want some?  I made enough for three."

Makoto smiled, "Thanks Kagami, that's really nice of you.  You don't have to do this though, you know."

Kagami shook his head, "No, this is the least I could do especially since I came to you in the middle of the night and you didn't turn me away.  And even though it's been days, you're still letting me stay here...  I owe you."

"I would never turn you away, I won't let you go through this alone."  Makoto gently rubbed Kagami's shoulder, he really felt so bad for his friend.

"I haven't told anyone else... Kuroko might know because he was in the apartment at the time, but I hope he doesn't."  Kagami looked down at the stove, finishing the stir fry he was cooking and serving it onto plates.  "I don't want anyone to know."

"Kagami..." Makoto didn't know what to say, there was nothing he could say.

"I loved him, I think I even still do," he leaned against the edge of the stove, head down and shoulders scrunched up, "I hate that I do because it would just be so much easier to hate him for it.  He reeked of alcohol, I wonder if he even has any idea of what he did.  But I can't face him."

"You don't have to face him," Makoto tried to help, "You can keep your distance and that'll help you get over loving him."

Kagami picked up a plate and handed it to Makoto.  He took the other and walked over to Makoto's kitchen table.  He said as he sat down, "Ah about that, I decided to move.  I don't want Aomine knowing where I live anymore.  I found a studio close to the university that I'm trying to get."

Makoto's eyes went wide, he sat down next to Kagami, just looking at him.  "Are you sure you want to live on your own?  There's really no rush for you to leave here."

Kagami smiled, nodding, "I really appreciate that, I do.  And I don't know what I would've done if you hadn't let me stay.  I just can't go back to that apartment, I'd never be able to stop thinking about what happened..."

"It's all been tainted?"  Makoto knitted his brow together.

Kagami nodded again, "Yeah, he did it right there in the entryway.  I can't walk into my apartment without being reminded of what happened.  So I don't want to go back.  I can't."

Makoto looked at Kagami with a more determined expression, "I'll help you move to your new place.  Don't worry."

Kagami looked at him, his brow furrowed, "I couldn't ask you to do that."

Makoto smiled, "I want to, I want to help you Kagami."

"Thank you," Kagami looked down at his plate, "I mean it, thank you."