Chapter Sixty Four

-Shadow's POV-

"Well we see how you two have grown together maturely..." Amy's father first starts.

"And we just believe that you two are actually mature enough to take the throne early," The queen finishes it off. Suddenly the happiness and excitement bouncing around in the air immediately dropped, replacing it with worry and sorrow. The mood quickly became dark just like that. 

"How early are we talking about?" Amy questions first.

"Well, we were going to do it after Amelia turns twenty, now we are doing it after she turns twenty-one," The king informed. I can feel fear creeping up on me, crawling on my back already while my own brain betrays my feelings by thinking about all the trouble this can cause.

They have to be joking! But they look super serious, even the mood in the room changed to being super serious, this can't be real. All that responsibility I have to take when I am still so very young..

"You're kidding, right? What makes you think that I—we are mature enough to rule the largest kingdom then?" Amy's voice sounds angrier now.

"Because we know you two are," The queen answers.

"You two have been training to be king and queen since you were both five years old. I am sure you both are able to do it. We both had to take the throne at a time we thought we weren't ready either. You can do it," Amy's father urges. I still feel very alarmed by all of this.

"It's still too soon..." I finally speak.

"The villagers love you both, you were both very brave in battle and there had been times when we left the kingdom for a trip to another kingdom, leaving Summerview in your hands and you dealt with it perfectly," The queen says.

"You have been ruling this kingdom all this time, the only difference is your title was 'prince' and 'princess' this time it will be 'king' and 'queen'. Do not forget that we will still be here to advise you," She reminded us. Amelia and I remained in a pitiful silence, a deep fear we both have, has finally returned to scare us both. This time we have to deal with it head on though.

"May we both please be excused?" I ask politely, I can feel Amy staring at me but I kept my eyes on the king and queen instead. They both nod their heads, Amy and I get up off the thrones and leave.

-Later That Night-

On the ride home back, Amelia and I didn't exchange any words. We sat in silence, looking outside the window because we were too tired and scared to speak another word. When we returned home, we said goodnight to my mother, father and brother then walked upstairs and went straight to bed.

Amy seems to be having a hard time sleeping tonight, she's tossing and turning, fluffing up her pillow and sitting up every now and then too. She isn't even sleeping. I can't sleep at all. My mind is still wild and awake while it races with all the scary thoughts and responsibilities I have to take. This is so unfair.

"Shadow, are you still awake?" Amy finally speaks. I turn on my back and look at her, her body is facing me.

"Yes,"

She lets out a tired sigh and moves a bit closer to me.

"What do you think about all this, Shadow?" She wonders. I don't even know how I feel about all this. Of course, I don't want to be king right now but I don't really want to tell her that. But I can't just lie to Amy.

"I'm...scared," I tell her truthfully. I remember having to always put on a brave face in front of Amy whenever something scary came up, even when deep down inside I was scared too. But it's not like that anymore, now Amy is stronger. She knows what her fears are but the difference is she doesn't avoid them anymore.

Amy softly chuckled to herself.

"And what exactly are you laughing about?" I ask her which only made her giggle some more at me.

"Nothing, I just...I remember when I first confessed to you that I was scared about becoming queen and you were the one who made me feel better," She tells me with a soft smile.

Instantly my mind goes all the way back to years ago. I was still seventeen years old and it was when Amy and I first married. The day after I woke up, Amy was crying and she told me that she was scared of becoming queen.

"I'm scared too," She adds.

"It won't happen for another two years but it still feels so close," I say then stare up at the ceiling.

"...Do you remember what you told me that day?" My eyes look back to her, she is giving me a fuller smile now.

"What did I say?"

"Well you said, 'I don't even know how things would turn out when I'm king but that's a long time from now, right now we have each other and we'll have each other then too'," She reminds me. I feel my face warm up at the memory. She actually remembered..

"Geez... I don't know who wouldn't be scared if they were to rule over such a huge kingdom," She continues.

"But it feels better knowing that we will have each other,"

She's right. We will have each other, from the very beginning we had each other even though we hated each other. It is still perfect today. She fell for me, I fell for her, we became a team.

We will still be a team when we are king and queen. It is scary.

"Yeah... and soon we'll have plenty of babies and we'll throw a bunch of castle parties it will be awesome," I comment in attempt to bring some humour into the mood as well.

"Hahaha! You just never stop do you?"

I shrug in response.

Amy and I just laid there, in a comfortable silence. Just staring at each other.

"So... you wanna have se—"

"Goodnight Shadow," Amy mumbles.

"...Goodnight," I sigh, Amy threw her head back and began laughing. I laughed along with her despite her hurting my own precious ego.

-The Next Morning-

Amy and I agreed to go to the library. Actually I just followed her. Right now, she seems to be loving some book she is reading.

"Why do you keep smiling like that?" I ask her.

"Because the male lead in this book is amazing," She responds without looking at me.

"Amazing?" I question. She nods her head as she continues to smile while she reads the book.

"I'm better though," I say proudly.

"Come back to me when you train two wild dragons," She says.

"Wooow... whatever," I roll my eyes, I hear Amy giggle.

"He may have trained dragons but does he have my good looks?" I taunt with a sly smirk.

"Well he's pretty hot in my mind, the book describes him that way too,"

"Whatever! At least I'm a real person and he isn't," I pout.

"But the thing is.... you're already getting jealous over a fake charac—"

"Am not!"

"...Okay,"

"...I'm still better though,"

"Alright then..,"

"Your highnesses, you have two visitors waiting for you," A butler informs.