One

Chapter One
It's Not The Life For Me

"It's their life, not mine."

•••

Peyton

Nervous. That's the feeling I felt throughout this whole story. I mean it was that and stress but I don't want to get too ahead of myself. Let me start with how I ended up in all this mess called my life.

It started when I was twenty years old and it was the day before my family's annual Fourth of July party. Something they always did, every year just like clock work. Especially where we lived in Beverly Hills, yeah I know it already sounds fancy and obnoxious. Trust me it was.

That's kind of what got me into a lot of mess in the first place. I wasn't a fan of the money, the fame, or the family name. I mean it was fun and games when I was a kid because I got everything I asked for. Spoiled brat much?

But as I got older and went to high school, and I'm actually talking public not that private school shit. It was the one thing I begged my parents for because they already had major private schools in mind for me. There's nothing wrong with private schools, I guess I just wanted to experience public schools.

I thought it would be good for me, to not be around people like my parents. Snotty rich spoiled kids, I was that when I was a kid. And I guess I was like that as a preteen but when I got to high school it was all different. People knew who I was and knew my family and I was surrounded with people either pretending to be my friends or hating me.

I never wanted to be popular or seem like I was cool. I wanted to be normal and have friends because of who I was and not because of my family's money. Cheesy cliche line anyone? Yeah well when you're around all the fake people and the ones who hate you it takes a toll on a person.

Though I did find that genuine friend, but even with her it wasn't enough. I didn't want this lifestyle anymore, I wanted something different. At eighteen I was going to leave my parents and move away to San Francisco. Just move away and change my name and just be someone new.

Why didn't I? Because my grandma had passed away. It was hard on everyone, especially me. My grandma was more of a mom to me than my actual mother. I mean she married into this family due to my grandfather, but she never once acted like it was made for her.

She still dressed the way she wanted, acted the way she wanted, and never let it change her. She was my role model, I knew I wanted to be like her ever since I was a freshman in high school. I wished I had her confidence, and she was the one person I told everything to.

So she knew that this life style wasn't for me either. She knew I wanted to leave and have no ties to the family name. She told me it was okay to feel that way and that she would support my decisions. She even told me she'd send me money only enough to help get myself a place and when I asked.

Though I told her I wanted to do it all the right way she still insisted. She told me it wouldn't be easy at first but the minute I'd be on my own feet and supporting myself she would stop. We had it all planned out, and when she passed away I felt lost. I felt less confident to leave, like I couldn't do it anymore. I decided to stay with my parents but things weren't the same after my grandmothers death.

My parents had their problems, we all grew distant. But they put on their fake smiles for the cameras when they attended events. When I turned 19 I snapped out of my daze and decided to save up the money I worked for and move away. I wasn't going to let my grandmother down and forget about my plans.