Forty

Chapter 40

Picnic

"You're worse than me."

•••

May; 1 month old

Peyton

It's so funny how once you become a parent, you remember how unsafe the world is. It's like everything is out to get you and your child and you want nothing more than to protect them. It's like those diaper commercials and how cautious the parents are with their first child. But I finally understood the feeling, well someone else did more than me.

•••

Melody turned a month old two days ago. It was crazy how big she's gotten just in a month. She's starting to make babbling noises. And she's even smiled, of course I happened to be when Shawn had her. Traitor. So since he got the first smile it's been a battle to get the first word.

She was still a month old so our hopes weren't high but it was still fun to try. I was in the living room on the couch with Melody. She was laying on my lap and awake, I was close to her face doing baby talk as she babbled.

"Momma, maw ma." I said against her mouth. But she just made little noises.

"Keep trying, but guarantee she's going to say dada." Shawn said from the kitchen.

I looked over at him and narrowed my eyes, "You can't have all of the firsts, greedy."

"I can't help that she loves me more, sorry love." He said as he made sandwiches.

I shook my head and had a big smile towards Melody, "Daddy is insane huh? He's crazy if he thinks you love him more. Last I checked he doesn't feed you from his breast huh?" I said with my voice sounding like baby talk.

"Alright momma food is ready so how about you two?" Shawn asked, I looked over and seen him leaning against the counter.

I checked the time and seen it was two in the afternoon. I picked Melody up before standing up and off the couch.

"I got to feed missy here and change her, then I have to get changed." I tell him as I make my way to the stairs.

"Alright I'll pack this up and everything else." Shawn told me.

I shot him a wink before going upstairs to do the things I said. I decided to dress Melody in something cute. It was this cute little blue romper that had pink flowers. I put a matching headband and she looked the absolute cutest.

"Mi preciosa." I said cooing at her.

She gave me a small little smile, I picked her up and set her down in her bassinet. I packed her diaper bag even though we wouldn't be gone too long. You never know what could happen so I still packed it. Once I was done I went to my room and changed into leggings and a tank top. I slipped on my sandals before walking back to the nursery.

I seen Shawn was in the nursery and he had the car set. He was buckling Melody in all while saying.

"Come on baby girl, dada. Come on." He said but she just gave him babble.