Fifty

Chapter 50

First Birthday

"You guys are too cute."

•••

Peyton

A year ago this day changed my life forever. It was the day I became a mom. The day I loved someone more than life itself. A painful day that lead to a wonderful year of joy.

•••

"I think those streamers are crooked." Serenity pointed out.

I took a moment to stop blowing up the red ballon in my hand to look at what she meant. I shook my head at what she said because I didn't see it.

"You're looking way too close, I'm sure no one will notice it's crooked." I told her before filling the balloon with the helium tank.

Serenity turned around to look at me, "I will notice."

"That's cause you're the one who pointed it out." I said as I tied the balloon before putting a string around it.

We were home setting up the living room with decorations. Not many people were coming to Melody's first birthday. But enough where we also have tables and decorations outside. The guys went to the store to buy a few more things we needed.

Madison was working but would be off in an hour. So all that were coming was Shawn's friends from work, my dad, sam, madison, Serenity, and Layla from my work. Shawn's family were even flying in but he didn't know about that. We would be spending most of the time outside since it is perfect anyways.

"So I cant believe he actually proposed." Serenity said randomly.

They just got in last night but she knew he proposed the day after he did. I called and told her but I guess she wanted to talk about it more that she was here.

"I know, for real this time." I laughed.

"Mom is going to be so mad. She really thought she did something back when it was my wedding week. Speaking of, are you inviting her?" She asked the last part quietly.

"To what? My wedding?" I asked, letting go of the balloon so it floated to the ceiling.

Serenity nodded her head, "Yeah."

"I don't know, haven't thought about it." I told her with a sigh.

I seen Serenity shift and I knew she wanted to say something. She didn't say anything because she knew I didn't want to hear it.

"P-" she said before shutting her mouth.

"Ren I really don't want to talk about her today. It's my daughter's birthday." I told her as I gathered the balloons and took them outside to tie on chairs.

Serenity followed close behind, "I know you don't. And you have every reason to hate her, but she is our mom."

"Wrong, she's your mom. Not mine, she's never treated me the way she's treated you. And do you know why? Cause you are everything she's wanted in a child. Someone who listens and loves the way we lived. Me? I was like the child she wish she never had." I told her sarcastically.