Fifty-Eight

Chapter 58

Unsteady

"It should've been me."

•••

Shawn

Lost. Broken. Confused. Hopeless. Those are the only things I felt when the worst day of my life happened.

•••

"Burgers are done!" I yelled as I put the rest of the patties on the tray, "There's ones with cheese and no cheese."

I walked over to the table Peyton had set up. It was like a build your own burger station. I looked around and seen Aaliyah still playing with Melody. I walked over to the playground and seen my sunshine at the top of the slide.

"Hey baby wanna eat?" I asked looking up at her.

"Yes." She said sweetly.

"Come on, liyah go get your food." I told my baby sister.

"Daddy I wanna go down slide." Melody told me.

I nodded my head, "Okay go down."

"No you." She said holding onto the railing.

"You want me to go down it with you?" I asked.

She nodded her blonde little head, "Fine, stay right there."

I walked around and climbed up the wooden stairs. I carefully walked on the playground and towards the slide. It was hard being tall and trying to maneuver on here. I finally got to the slide and sat down, I sat Melody on my lap.

"Ready?" I asked her.

She nodded her head as she held onto my arm that was wrapped around her. I then pushed off so we went down the slide. When we went down Melody let out a little 'weee' making me laugh.

"Let's go eat now." I told her as I picked her up and held her.

I walked over towards the table where the burgers were and waited in line.

"Take your time aaliyah." I told her jokingly.

"I will now just cause you said to." She told me sarcastically.

I laughed and was about to say something but my phone started to ring. I dug it out from my back pocket and answered it.

"Hello?" I answered hoping it was Peyton explaining why she was taking forever.

"Is this Mr. Mendes?" A man asked on the other end.

I didn't recognize the voice, "This is he." I said almost confused. Aaliyah was looking at me with a questioning look.

"Sir your wife's been in an accident. She's being rushed to the hospital at the moment. We found her phone and you were in her emergency contact." The man told me.

Suddenly everything felt numb. I couldn't hear anything besides the other line. I wasn't hearing the music that was playing or everyone talking. My eyes were on the floor as everything else blurred out. When he said the first line my heart stopped. It felt like it stopped for what felt like a minute.