Thirty-Seven

Chapter 37

Oh, baby!

"Just breathe."

•••

Peyton

You always hear from others how beautiful child birth is. Or you see how calm some people look. I don't know how they do it, cause I knew it was the most frightening experience I've ever went through. Frightening and painful.

•••

My body ached, it was hurting so bad. There was pressure in my stomach, my uterus was contracting. And all I knew to do was breathe, just breathe. That's what I repeated to myself despite the pain and discomfort.

Shawn had grabbed the bag and car seat and put them in my car. Once he had everything he went back inside to help me. He helped me off the couch and made sure we had our phones before we left. The whole time he was driving I was gripping my phone in one hand and the door of the car in the other.

"What? I thought you weren't due for another week?" Serenity asked out of breath on the other side of the phone.

I had my eyes shut and tried my best to breathe, "Y-yeah me too." In, out, in, out.

The contractions were evenly spaced, it wasn't coming frequent. Which I was thankful for because it was uncomfortable. But I knew that only meant it would be a long wait with these. It also means they will only get worse and come more together when it's time.

"Sam are on our way, Sam called Dad to tell him so he should be there soon." Serenity told me.

"Okay." Was all I knew to say, I was too focused on my daughter to pay attention to all around me.

"Bye, I'll see you in a few." She said before hanging up.

I opened my eyes and put my phone in my purse. I watched the road as I breathed in and out. I was so lost in thought I hadn't even realized we were already there. Shawn grabbed the baby's bag as well as mine before helping me out of the car. He had both of the bags on one arm while the other was wrapped around me.

"Denise, get me a wheelchair." I heard Shawn call out when we walked into the hospital.

I seen a nurse rush over with a wheelchair. Shawn helped me sit on it before pushing me towards the elevator. He pressed the button that lead to the maternity ward. I felt another contraction which caused me to squeeze my eyes shut and grip the chair. I shook my head and just breathed. I could hear Shawn's tapping as if he was anxious to get off this elevator.

I focused on the tapping, anything but the pressure. It then subsided and I loosened my grip on the chair. I opened my eyes and that's when the elevator doors opened. Shawn pushed the chair and we started moving till we were at the desk. The nurse working the maternity ward looked over to see me.

"Doctor Mendes, What can I do for you?" She asked as she looked at him and then me.

"We need a room, she's going into labor. Contractions are evenly spaced, nothing too close." He told her, she nodded and told him to go to room number 4.