Nine

Chapter 9

Big Sister

"Are you sure there's nothing I can do?"

•••

Peyton

Sometimes I don't even remember what family is. I mean the only family I had was my grandmother and my sister. Later my dad started to follow in being a part of my family but it was cut short when I left.

My mom took it seriously about if I left the house I wasn't allowed back. She cut ties with me and since she basically controls my dad he didn't talk to me either. So I was on my own, but my sister always made it her mission to be the big sister I knew she was.

•••

It was a month, a month without a job. I started to feel hopeless but that was all part of finding a job. I knew the first one was just too good to be true. I mean clearly he was an actual pig, so things coming to me easily was a long shot. Everything that came easy had its consequences.

My life I had things made but with that came the controlling mother. The fake friends and the fake everything, which caused me to leave. The easy job came with the egotistical asshole of a boss that clearly hates it when his ego is cut short.

So I'm sure if anything were to come easy there's something wrong. But with whatever job comes up I'm sure it will be worth it. It only took a whole month of job searching so it will be a good job.

I sat in the living room in my pjs watching the Office again. Madison had left for work so I had the house to myself. That was until I heard a knock on the front door.

"You know if you forget something and it's been hours it's best to just wait till the next day." I said out loud.

I got to the door and opened it, I expected it to be Madison but found my big sister instead.

"Serenity? What are you doing here?" I asked.

She walked in and gave me a big hug, when we pulled away she smiled.

"Visiting my baby sis in this beautiful city." She said as she walked over towards the couch.

I closed the door and followed behind, "I have a couple questions, 1. How did you leave the house? and 2. How do you know where I live?" I asked.

"I called yesterday morning, your friend gave me the address. I thought she told you I called?" She asked confusedly.

"No but it's fine, can't be mad at her she's letting me stay with her for free. Ugh this whole being independent thing is actually really hard." I sighed.

I looked at her as she sat on my couch, her designer clothes. She just got a manicure and her hair was freshly done with her highlights and curls. It was a little shorter as well, I hated the way we lived but my sister embraced it. Seen no point in fighting with my mom, but I clearly wasn't like her.

"Do you need money? A reference? You know I told you I'd help you if you asked." Serenity assured me.

I shook my head, "I said I'd do this on my own and that's what I intend to do."