Sixty-One

Chapter 61

the grandma

"Why didn't anyone tell me she was like this?"

•••

July

Peyton

Any chapter with my mother in the title is never good. I think we've all established she isn't the best woman. In fact she's the worst, but I can't exactly avoid her. Well I did but in this case I couldn't, I never can when it comes to Serenity.

•••

Two years. Well two years in a half. One birth. One wedding. Two birthdays. A gender reveal. That's all that has happened in the two years since I last talked to my mother. Each one of those events took place and she was no where to be seen.

I could have gone longer without seeing her. It was clear she did not want anything to do with me or my family. Not even when I was in the hospital, she didn't call. Nothing. I told her I didn't want her in my daughters life. She didn't even fight to be in it, she accepted it.

Now I was probably, almost 100% sure, I was going to see her today. We were in Beverly Hills for Serenity's Gender reveal. They are going big with this baby, I'm talking a petting zoo and I'm pretty sure she has fireworks. Why did she need a petting zoo? I had no idea but Melody couldn't wait for the animals to show up.

I was seven months pregnant and Serenity was five months pregnant. To say I was huge was an understatement. I sometimes think I might have more than two in there. But with all the doctors appointments we've been to there's only two.

"Mommy horse!" Melody said jumping on the bench by the window.

I was finishing up my makeup next to her. I turned as best I could so I could look at what she was seeing. Sure enough there was a pony being put into the pen. I shook my head at Serenity's extreme party.

"Yeah we will go down right now, can you put on your shoes please?" I asked her as I helped her off the bench.

"Yes mommy." She said softly before running to where I left her sandals.

"Thank you." I told her as I carefully stood up.

The bathroom door opened and Shawn walked out. He wore a white T-shirt that was tucked into slacks. He did his hairs so that the curls were nice and voluminous. Shawn smiled at Melody who was trying to put on her shoes on her own. He looks really good, I mean he always does but I'm sure it's these hormones.

I shake my head and walk to the now empty bathroom. I've been peeing so much, these two think it's funny to just push on my bladder.

"Do you need help?" I could hear shawn ask Melody.

"Yes please." She answered.

Once I was done and washed up I walked back to the room. I seen Melody and Shawn standing by the window. I'm sure she wanted to show him the horses.

There was a knock on the door, I carefully walked to it. I opened it to find my sister standing there looking nervous.

"She's here." Was all she said as she walked in.