Twenty-Four

Chapter 24

Home, Not So Sweet, Home

"Believe what you want mother, you always have and always will."

•••

Peyton

I don't have much to say about this chapter of my story. It's pretty obvious I was seeing my mother for the first time since I ran away. And I was pregnant with her first grandchild and she had no idea. So let's just get right to it.

•••

I woke up by the blinding light coming from the sunrise. I waited for my eyes to adjust to the sun before sitting up better. My back was so sore, I forgot how uncomfortable sleeping in a car was. Well even more uncomfortable since I had extra weight making my back hurt more.

"Good morning, did you sleep okay?" Shawn asked glancing over at me.

I groaned feeling a pain in my lower back, "Uh somewhat."

"Well we're a good thirty minutes away." Shawn informed me.

I felt my heart race, "Already?" I asked.

He nodded, "Yeah I know I said I was going to wake you up and hour before but I figured you'd want sleep. To handle your mom and everything."

"Thank you, I just um need to use the bathroom." I told him feeling embarrassed.

Shawn just chuckled, "That's no problem, we can also stop for breakfast if you want."

I shook my head, "Knowing my mom she's throwing a big buffet. We'll eat good there."

Shawn nodded before driving into the Walmart that was close. He parked the truck and we both got out. I stood finally being able to stretch out. We walked into the store and Shawn went to buy a couple drinks for us while I went to use the bathroom. We met back at the truck, I suddenly felt the need to throw up but not because of morning sickness.

"I got you a raspberry sweet tea." Shawn said as he grabbed it out of the bag.

"Thank you." I said with a smile as I grabbed it from him.

I opened it and started to drink it as we pulled out of the Walmart parking lot (a.n. if you know, you know). He then starts driving to my old neighborhood, we got to the gate.

"Hey Stan." I greeted the guard at the gate.

He smiled, "Miss Ellis, haven't seen you in months. It's nice to see you back."

I laughed, "It's only for the week but I missed you too Stan."

"Have a good week then, I hope to see you around." He said as he pressed a button to open the gates.

"Yeah hopefully." I said before Shawn started driving into the neighborhood.

"Whoa." Was all he said as we drove past so many fancy, big houses.

I could feel my stomach filling up with anxiety and nervousness. I was completely nervous, more than when I told her I was leaving. My leg was bouncing up and down and I held my necklace in my hand.