Epilogue

Epilogue

The End

"I'd like that."

•••

April; 14 years later

Dear Melody,

Since the minute I found out I was pregnant with you, I was utterly scared. I know that's not something you hoped your parents would ever tell you. You'd want to hear, that I was happy, ecstatic, the happiest person on the planet.

But I wasn't. Not at first at least, it grew on me. You were a surprise and I was just twenty years old. I didn't have anything figured out. But I knew I wanted you, I knew I'd have to grow up. I knew I had to be the best parent I could possibly be for you.

You are my little me, my perfect surprise, my best friend, and my first love. No your father, Shawn, wasn't my first. I loved you more than I even realized I loved him. You've brought nothing but happiness in both of our lives.

You've been my greatest adventure, my beautiful song. I love you more than I thought I could ever possibly love anyone. You taught me all about love without realizing it. You'll always be my baby no matter what, no matter how old. No matter if you're married and have kids of your own.

I know you'll go far in life, I know you'll be extraordinary. Happy 18th birthday my little Melody.

Love,
Mom x

***

Dear Melody,

I remember the day your mother told me she was pregnant with you. She tried to shove me out of her life, told me she was pregnant with another mans child. That she didn't want to give me that kind of responsibility. I remember that night and the nights that followed.

I couldn't believe her, I couldn't believe she really tried to get rid of me like that. Not even giving me an option of whether I wanted to be in either of your lives. She just choose for me, and it made me mad. Cause we talked about fate, we believed in it the day we first met. So how could she have just go against what fate wanted.

So I did something I had continued to do when it came to your mother. I fought for her, I didn't care that she was pregnant with you. I hadn't stopped thinking about her, I was falling for her and I didn't care about all her 'baggage'. And I'm so glad I didn't care because you became the best part of me.

I'm sure you know by now everything. But I want you to understand this, no matter what. You've always have been and will be mine. My daughter, my baby. From when you were in your moms belly till the day I die. I told your mother I didn't care what science said. I still don't cause being your father has been my best title.

I cant imagine my life without you. And I hope you can't see your life without me despite knowing the truth. I don't want you to think of anything less of me. I don't want to be just the man your mother married, or your step father. Im your dad and I hope you will always see me that way.

So for your 18th birthday I have something for you. You have a choice and don't worry I won't be mad if you say no. But I wanted you to be an adult and know and understand the truth before asking you to make this decision.