Nineteen

Chapter 19

The Invitation

"A letter would have sufficed."

•••

Peyton

Ever since I moved away from my family it's felt like I've just lived a different life. It almost feels as if I just grew up here but I didn't. So when my actual past that I quite literally ran away from calls me it's like someone seen my dream and said fuck you before popping it.

•••

When Shawn left my house I took the opportunity to do cleaning. I had the day off from work which I was grateful for. The couch wasn't comfortable so my back was even more sore than normal. I wanted to clean up and relax maybe take a bath.

As I put clothes into my washer and started it I heard my phone start to ring. I walked over to the kitchen and picked up my phone.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hey I really am sorry for having to rush out of there." I heard the familiar voice say.

I smiled as I walked over to the couch to sit, "And I told you it was completely fine because you were running late for your very important job."

"I don't think you used all those words." He joked.

"I didn't but I improvised, anyways shouldn't you be doing important doctor stuff?" I asked as I folded the clothes I had taken out from the dryer earlier.

He hummed, "Mmhmm thats why I'm calling. I was talking to one of my good friend who happens to be a OBGYM. She told me about a way that you could actually find out the sex of your baby early." Shawn explained to me.

I could feel my heart quite literally skip a beat when he said that. The fact that he thought about me and my baby and asked. He didn't need to, I mean it was a nice gesture.

"Oh Shawn you didn't need to ask for me." I told him as I stopped what I was doing.

"I know I didn't but thought I would ask I mean unless you didn't want to know the gender." He said.

I laughed, "No I did."

"Alright well I'll tell you about it tonight?" He asked hopefully.

A smile took over my lips, "Oh tonight? Hmm I might be a little busy."

"Oh then it's no problem." He sighed.

"I'm only messing with you Shawn, I'll see you tonight." I said.

He chuckled, "Great I'll see you tonight then."

"See you then, no go back to your doctor stuff." I laughed.

"Will do." He said before we hung up.

I put my phone down and looked across to find my hanging mirror. I seen the big uncontrollable smile that was on my face. I tried to stop but I was too happy and then my phone began to ring again.

"Hello? Did you forget to say something?" I asked.

"Well hello to you Peyton, I'm sorry if you hoped this was someone it wasn't." The familiar voice said.

The smile from my face left, "Hi mom, thought when I left that house I was no longer family?"

"Well that was before your sister got engaged. Now I know you and your sister are close and you wouldn't miss her big day now would you?" She asked trying to sound sweet and caring.

I rolled my eyes, "Obviously I wouldn't miss her wedding."

"Great to know you're coming home." She said and that's when I found out what she was actually trying to get me to do.

"Wait, I'm not moving back. I have started a life for myself here and I'm doing quite alright," I lied, "I certainly don't want to go back."

"Come on Peyton stop being childish and come back. People already asked questions about where you were for Fourth of July and they will ask again for Halloween." She told me but this time in a more rude tone.

I laughed, "And you truly think I care what they say or ask? If I did mom I would not have left at all. And you know what I'm not even sure why you called cause a letter would have sufficed."

"Peyton your luck out there will run out and when it does don't expect to come running back. I am giving you the opportunity to come back and we'll never bring it up. Just come home and end this foolishness." She said sounding irritating.

"It was nice talking to you mom really, it reminded me why I'm glad to be here. I'll see you the weekend of the wedding, give Serenity and Dad all my love." I told her before hanging up.

I sat down on the stool from my kitchen island and rested my head in my hands. I then felt pressure on my bladder before groaning. I went to the bathroom and used it before washing up and going back to folding. My mood had been ruined thanks to my mom.

"Well if I thought that conversation was bad wait until she finds out about you little one." I said softly as I touched the little bump.

I started to feel extremely nervous and anxious for the day I go back down for my sisters big day. For all the eyes and judgmental looks. For the rumors to spread and to officially be an outcast. But that's what I wanted right? I left because I didn't care what they said. Right?

•••

And just like that my fantasy world came crashing down. Thanks mom! I was going to be facing reality face to face real soon.

Authors Note//
Sucky chapter🤪
Let me know what you think
Until Next Time Peace Lovelies✌🏼💚