Twenty

Chapter 20

The Gender

"You should really go home and sleep."

•••

Peyton

Despite getting pregnant before I was even settled down here. And regretting who it was with as day by day went I didn't regret being pregnant. It was scary in the beginning because I didn't have my new life figured out. But I loved the tiny human growing in me.

I knew one day I would want to start a family. I knew I wanted to have kids, it was something I always thought about when I was way too young to think about my future unborn child. I thought about how I'd tell my family, to the baby shower, and how the nursery would look.

And now If was real. I was pregnant and all I wanted to know was what the gender would be.

•••

I was nervous today, a couple of days ago I went to the hospital with Madison to get my blood drawn. Shawn had set up an appointment for with through his friend. I was actually going to find out the gender of the baby.

Though the way I would've imagined planning it all is different. Like my sister would've been the only one knowing and we would've done a party with my family. I would've had games and had people guess what they think the baby is.

But unfortunately I ran away from my family because they were too much for me. My mom ruined that. The money ruined that. So I sat there waiting for the call with Madison as she was FaceTiming Serenity.

"Do you think it's a boy or girl?" Serenity asked.

I looked over at the phone and shrugged, "I don't know."

"What do you want it to be?" Madison asked.

I laughed, "I don't know, I'm happy with whatever. I just can't wait to hold them and to be able to decorate my nursery."

Madison and Serenity both laughed at my last comment. I have a things for decorating.

"I think it's gonna be a girl." Madison said.

Serenity shook her head, "Nope it's a boy."

My leg bounced up and down in anticipation. I was so nervous and felt like the call couldn't come sooner.

"Maybe it won't be today." I told them.

"Did she say she would call today?" Madison asked.

I nodded, "Then she will call." Serenity told me trying to assure me.

I reached up to my necklace, it was a cross my grandmother gave me. I never take it off besides when I'm taking a shower. It was my comfort object, something I grabbed when I was nervous or scared. It made me feel safe, it was like my grandmother was with me whenever I felt scared.

Just then my phone started to ring, we all jumped. I quickly grabbed the phone, clicked answer, and put it on speaker.

"Hello?" I asked.