Fifty-Three

Chapter 53

Why not?

"Are you serious?"

•••

June

Peyton

Since I turned 14 I remember I couldn't wait for the day I turned 18. Every birthday it was like I was one less birthday away. I hoped they would come quicker, I couldn't wait to leave. It's sad, cause now that I'm where I want to be in life. I'm dreading them, I want time to slow down.

•••

I got out of the shower as I wrapped the towel around myself. I walked over to the foggy mirrors and wiped them. I then seen myself and sighed. Twenty two wasn't old, but it's crazy to know I was actually twenty two. I had a one year old and I was engaged, all at twenty two years old.

I'm at a good place in my life, so I wish I could stop time. I wanted to stay right here forever. My baby was already getting so big, she was talking or more like babbling more. She started walking a few months ago, and soon she'd actually be saying more words. Sentences, then before we know it she's off to kindergarten.

I sighed forcing myself out of my thoughts. That's when I noticed shawn leaning against the doorway. I looked over at him and he had his arms crossed against his chest. He wore black jeans and a white T-shirt. Shawn was already dressed and ready and I just got out of the shower.

"Is Madison here?" I asked him as I started to blow dry my hair.

"Of course." Shawn said.

"Seems like everyone is on time but me, sorry." I apologized as I brushed my hair.

Shawn shook his head, "There's nothing to be sorry about. We've got an hour before the concert starts." He told me as he pushed off the door.

I nodded and started to work on my makeup. I was going with a simple look, nothing too extravagant. Shawn walked closer till he stood next to me.

"What's wrong?" Shawn asked softly.

I shook my head, "Nothing, just thinking."

"About?"

I looked at him through the mirror and sighed, "Life. How big Melody is getting and how fast time is moving. Don't you ever just wish you could stop time?" I asked.

I suddenly felt dumb the moment the question left my lips. Of course we couldn't actually stop time. And leave it to me to be the one overthinking on my own birthday.

"Of course I do. If I could stop time I'd stop it so many times just to make moments last longer." Shawn told me seriously, not even a laugh.

I appreciated that more than he would know. Cause I felt that he might laugh or think it was a crazy thought to have. But he didn't, instead he went along with my thoughts and related to it.

"Me too, okay no more mushy talk. We have a concert to go to and I'm still not dressed." I told him changing the mood and subject.

I walked past him and towards our closet. He followed close behind as I picked an outfit.

"Question." He said.