Fifty-Nine

Chapter 59

Hospital

"I'm so sorry."

•••

Shawn

Never take those you love for granted. You never know when it's the last time you'll see them. The last time you'll hear their voice or hold them. You won't know when's the last I love you. And you also don't want to leave things badly because it could be the last thing you say to them and all you'll feel is regret.

•••

When I woke up the next morning I seen her. She was laying peacefully asleep next to me. Her mouth was open a little and I could hear her slow breathing. I smiled loving how she looked, how much she looked like her mom.

I had Melody sleep in our bed with me last night. I should have been at the hospital last night. But I couldn't bring myself to be there, I spend my whole day there. It was my second home because of how often I'm there working. But it didn't feel like a second home anymore.

It was selfish of me, I should be a worried husband pacing the floor. I should have been there when they took her out of the operating room. I should be there incase she wakes up. If she left the operating room. If she wakes up.

But I've been on the opposite end of the situation. I've been the one working my hardest to save a life. I've been the one giving bad news. And I just didn't want to be there right now. I wanted to live in my dream a little longer.

Melody moved a little so she was now closer to me. Her eyes started to open revealing her brown eyes. She tried to adjust her eyes by blinking a lot.

"Morning baby." I whispered.

She sat up a little revealing her messy blonde hair, "Hi...daddy." She yawned my name.

"Want breakfast?" I asked her as I stayed laying down.

She nodded her head and rubbed her eyes, "yes pease."

"Nana made some." I told her finally sitting up.

I got off the bed and put on my T-shirt. I turned around and Melody lifted her arms up. I picked her up and took her downstairs. The smell of coffee and pancakes filled the air, it was silent though. No one was talking, no one has since I got the call yesterday.

I walked to the kitchen with Melody in my arms, "Good morning."

"Good morning son, good morning Mel." My Mother, karen, said with a smile.

"Hi nana." Melody said softly, she was still half asleep.

"I'll take her and feed her." My mom offered.

I shook my head, "No I want to feed her."

My mom just nodded and gave me a tight lipped smile. She then moved out of the kitchen and to the living room where my dad and aaliyah were.

"You want some pancakes and banana?" I asked Melody.

She just nodded her head slowly before letting out another yawn. She didn't get much sleep last night. Melody just kept asking where her mom was and why she wasn't going to sleep with us. She'd even wake up crying calling for her mom. It broke my heart even more than it was already broken.